X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Almost a non sequitor, as I haven't heard and have no interest in acquiring the CD, Anthony Hopkins - Composer, but I strongly resented the snide reference, #26, to 'a film star' as Anthony Hopkins has also, in turn, devoted his 'life, imagination and energies to develop his craft' as an actor. I was a fellow classmate and friend of Tony - as we always knew him at the RADA - and took a keen interest in his classical career and several cinematic performances. Indeed, I'd include his performance as the press baron in David Hare's/Howard Brenton's play, "Pravda" at the NT (1985) among a handful of truly great performances I've seen in the theatre. Tony had to fight his personal demons for a couple of decades but he remained self-effacing and genuinely modest. A rich sense of humour, too -wickedly so. And a highly proficient pianist, particularly in the Beethoven Piano Sonata repertoire. In the late 60s, I had a personal grouch about a BBC radio audition and was surprised to be summoned to the office of Martin Esslin, Head of Drama. He heard me sympathetically but retorted, "Stanley, there is no recipe for success". A great truth.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I don't think it's quite fair to call the comment 'snide' - and I'm really very 'sympathetic' (in the sense that I don't want to criticise him personally - to his efforts - and I have seen nothing to suggest he didn't do the orchestrations himself - anyone?). But it is his celebrity status among a very wide public that makes him interesting to the record producers. He might as well have been a (very good) TV gardener, chef, wildlife broadcaster - just as long as he was well known. And it is his films that have put him in that position.

The comment took nothing from his ability and achievements as an actor.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• heliocentric

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        The comment took nothing from his ability and achievements as an actor.
        I'm glad you realised that even if Stanley didn't seem to.

A short search reveals that the orchestrations were done by a young composer called Stephen Barton.

Comment

Working...
        X