Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have just been subjected to Colin Davis's Ave Verum. Case made, I think. Pure soup with dumplings. penitential indeed.

Comment

Colin Davis's Ave Verum
      My God wasn't it horrible?

Going back to attack, I dimly remember an acoustics lecture where a note was played (on a steam-driven tape recorder) by a trumpet and then by a flute. But the beginning of the note (i.e. the 'attack') had been omitted. You could not tell which was which.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        My God wasn't it horrible?

Going back to attack, I dimly remember an acoustics lecture where a note was played (on a steam-driven tape recorder) by a trumpet and then by a flute. But the beginning of the note (i.e. the 'attack') had been omitted. You could not tell which was which.
        It wasn't, by any chance, a Reginald Smith Brindle lecture, was it? It sounds very much like of of his.

Comment

I wonder whether we should be using the term 'articulation' rather than 'attack'. That would allow us to talk about the techniques involved in producing a note, whether keyboard, wind or strings. As well as pressure and weight of finger(s) or bow, there is nearly always the speed of the articulation - the speed of the key being depressed, the speeed of the bow stroke - which has a significant impact on the note produced, how strong and long the initial impact is, and the quality of the sound thereafter, as the note is held for however long it may be. Does that make any sense?.

Comment

The two are related, and "attack" is part of articulation. The latter involves the whole note, whereas the former implies only the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellini View Post
              The best form of defence is attack, especially when confronted by a conductor ... it's amazing what you can do with a baton ...

Comment

I've actually conducted a youth band, playing Harry Potter film music, with a replica Voldemorte wand. It's white, but rather heavy.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your contributions to my education.

Comment

No need to have your Mozart soupy any more, greenilex.

Best to stick to HIP recordings - Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Academy of Ancient Music, Tafelmusik etc. Even Scottish Chamber Orchestra with Mackerras.

Comment

Working...
                    X