What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I think the Undertones will always be my favourite band.
    and my favourite song/lyric of theirs will always be..
    "His mum bought him a synthesiser....
    Got (this lot) in to advise her.."

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Steely Dan - Aja

Mott the Hoople - Greatest Hits

Rush - Permanent Waves/Signals

and in the car:

Pirate Radio 101 - including this little gem from 1967, which has been known to make people of a certain age 'tear up':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I think the Undertones will always be my favourite band.
        Very close to the top of my list as well and a really good live band ....... at least until they went all ' Julie Ocean ' !

" He always beat me at Subbuteo
        cos he flicked to kick
        and I didn't know ......... "

from ' My Perfect Cousin ' always made me laugh ..... and remember childhood Subbuteo tournaments with school friends in the days when I actually loved football !!

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
          " He always beat me at Subbuteo
          cos he flicked to kick
          and I didn't know ......... "

from ' My Perfect Cousin ' always made me laugh ..... and remember childhood Subbuteo tournaments with school friends in the days when I actually loved football !!
          MAde all the poignant for me as I actually had a 'perfect cousin' ..

Comment

You might like this

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Interesting. I'm no fan as such but their importance in the evolution of punk into 'new wave' is undisputable. On the Christmas holiday viewing list - ta!

Comment

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                Interesting. I'm no fan as such but their importance in the evolution of punk into 'new wave' is undisputable. On the Christmas holiday viewing list - ta!

thanks to Gongers from me too, never seen that.

For those interested, like many punk bands, and as Rads suggests, the Undertones really tried to develop their music and style. The O'neill brothers were big fans of Talking Heads, and although this doesn't really come out strongly in the music, they certainly tried some interesting things.

I was listening to some of the songs from their third album, " Positive touch" the other day. Not all of it is an unqualified success, but there are some great ideas and textures . It has stood the test of time well IMO, although fans were a bit disappointed at the time, I would say.

The final album, " The Sin of Pride", which sank like a stone, is a really excellent strong album, with lots of Soul/R and B influence, and some great songs.

you'll likely remember this, and there is plenty more strong material on the record.

I recommend both strongly as a worthwhile use of your time
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Thanks MrGG for posting that link. I have never seen that documentary before

I was big on the Undertones, although my faves were the Buzzcocks around that time (1978ish)

Comment

The Curse of the Higsons.

Really still sounds very fresh and enjoyable.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Great shout Rob.

A friend of mine was mad on this band in the early\mid seventies. He brought the albums around often, I paid little attention and they made little impact on me. I think I was too wrapped up with Led Zeppelin.

Playing it now, brilliant and so Jazzy in places. I haven't got the album, Im listening on YouTube.
                      this is the sort of record that 6th formers were listening to , while I was in the 4th form listening to the Damned and the Ramones, and refusing to listen to any guitar solo longer than 12 seconds.

Never heard it before, but I have to say , it really is excellent. Great steer guys.

Comment

Film 4

The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone

Shane Meadows tribute to the band, filmed around 2012.

The Meadow's generation!!!

Comment

Film 4

The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone

Shane Meadows tribute to the band, filmed around 2012.

The Meadow's generation!!!
                          Spooky, I was playing some Roses last night.
                          Liked them back in the day,but Not really sure their music is sounding any better over time.
                          Is the film any good?

Comment

Spooky, I was playing some Roses last night.
                            Liked them back in the day,but Not really sure their music is sounding any better over time.
                            Is the film any good?
                            Please don't call me Spooky.

The film was a reasonably interesting documentary about a rock band, with plenty of back-stage footage etc.

I was never that mad about them back in the day, and I agree that their music hasn't stood the test of time.

Comment

I was never that mad about them back in the day, and I agree that their music hasn't stood the test of time.
                              That's what I call "The Gerontius Effect"

Now listening to this

Comment

Please don't call me Spooky.

The film was a reasonably interesting documentary about a rock band, with plenty of back-stage footage etc.

Sorry, "Not Spooky"

here is a good Spooky band.
                                'Swedish Folk Song' Spooky Style, performed at the Holywell Music Rooms in Oxford, July 2009. You may have heard it before...

Comment

Working...
                                X