What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Rads, do you know anything by The Sound?

way better than the Bunnymen or Teardrop Explodes, ( which is saying something), but had no success at all.

On of my favourite bands, and the best live band BAR NONE I have ever seen....and I have seen a lot.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Radio64
      • Jan 2014

Check out their Peel Sessions recordings (also on official CD) to hear some interesting versions, including an embryonic and somewhat rawer Enola Gay:

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Radio64
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Rads, do you know anything by The Sound?

way better than the Bunnymen or Teardrop Explodes, ( which is saying something), but had no success at all.

On of my favourite bands, and the best live band BAR NONE I have ever seen....and I have seen a lot.
        I know who you mean but they've never really struck any kind of chord with me. I think I have a CD-R of their Lions Mouth album somewhere. I remember a mate saying that if you like Joy Division and early OMD then you must like The Sound .. never really did though.

But staying with a Liverpool/Eric's theme, howabout a bit of Dalek-i?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
          I feel they were always a band who successfully mixed experimental music with more accessible pop music, meaning that even their more mainstream stuff was pushing ahead the barriers in many ways. I mean how many bands have had hit singles dealing with the bombing of Hiroshima and Joan of Arc (twice!)?
          Organisation is certainly a darker album and well worth a listen if only for the moodier tracks such as The Misunderstanding (best intro ever) and Stanlow (yes. a love song about an oil refinery).

Dazzle Ships took it to the band to their experimental limit (based very much on Kraftwerk's Radio-Activity) but the times they were a changing and folks just didn't buy singles extolling the virtues of genetic engineering and the humble telegraph anymore!

It is of course my favourite OMD album ...
          At the time there was a lot of stuff going round about how we would all be killed in a fireball if the Russians bombed Stanlow.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            At the time there was a lot of stuff going round about how we would all be killed in a fireball if the Russians bombed Stanlow.
            Maybe because the last time, our 'enemy', the Germans, very nearly finished us off. Understandable I'd say, if you consider the proper context, rather than the polemical.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
              I feel they were always a band who successfully mixed experimental music with more accessible pop music, meaning that even their more mainstream stuff was pushing ahead the barriers in many ways. I mean how many bands have had hit singles dealing with the bombing of Hiroshima and Joan of Arc (twice!)?
              Organisation is certainly a darker album and well worth a listen if only for the moodier tracks such as The Misunderstanding (best intro ever) and Stanlow (yes. a love song about an oil refinery).

Dazzle Ships took it to the band to their experimental limit (based very much on Kraftwerk's Radio-Activity) but the times they were a changing and folks just didn't buy singles extolling the virtues of genetic engineering and the humble telegraph anymore!

It is of course my favourite OMD album ...
              I think most of their albums, if not all, are based on Kraftwerk. Isn't that generally accepted?

Lots of bands mixed sociological/political issues with pop, and OMD's message was quite glib. Where I think OMD did stand out, was in their music.

The good thing about all this is that Dazzle Ships is appreciated for the masterpiece it is, albeit a long time after the event. Often the way with art.

Comment

• Radio64
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                I think most of their albums, if not all, are based on Kraftwerk. Isn't that generally accepted?

Lots of bands mixed sociological/political issues with pop, and OMD's message was quite glib. Where I think OMD did stand out, was in their music.

The good thing about all this is that Dazzle Ships is appreciated for the masterpiece it is, albeit a long time after the event. Often the way with art.
                Indeed - perhaps you heard/read/saw the recent Liverpool Museum Dazzle Ships live event thing for which said museum won some kind of prize.

But yes, the Kraftwerk influence has always been there ... not least on their most recent English Electric album:

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

If you mean that the gangly chap on the school bus with a "Doctor Who" scarf and a copy of Radioactivity under his arm was a tad obsessed? .... then YES

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

If you mean that the gangly chap on the school bus with a "Doctor Who" scarf and a copy of Radioactivity under his arm was a tad obsessed? .... then YES
                    No school bus for me. I was at uni by then, leaving the long scarves and showy-off 'look what I got under my arm' to you lot of spotty 'erberts

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Robert Fripp - Exposure. Polydor, 1979.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Robert Fripp - Exposure. Polydor, 1979.
                        "It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering"?

Didn't think you Kippers went for the "sea's will rise" malarkey

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

"It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering"?

Didn't think you Kippers went for the "sea's will rise" malarkey
                          Can we keep politics separate from music please? And you are not allowed to say 'kippers', in that context.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

No school bus for me. I was at uni by then, leaving the long scarves and showy-off 'look what I got under my arm' to you lot of spotty 'erberts
                            still kinda miss the Thursday morning trip to the newsagent......

interweb is no kind of a substitute, and you can't pose in a long dark coat with a copy of "google"....
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              still kinda miss the Thursday morning trip to the newsagent......

interweb is no kind of a substitute, and you can't pose in a long dark coat with a copy of "google"....

And somehow, we managed to keep totally up to date and know what was being released and when and gigs etc - those were the days!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

And somehow, we managed to keep totally up to date and know what was being released and when and gigs etc - those were the days!

I don't remember ever buying tickets, ( or how I bought them) or missing out on gigs though, even though I went to loads.
                                A bit different in London I guess. I certainly did buy in advance from the venues, when I was there.

Comment

Working...
                                X