What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zappa: Waka/Wazoo (96/24 stream inport from QOBUZ). 'Discs' 1 to 3 mainly feature the 'Grand' Wazoo band, and 'Disc' 4 the 'Petit' Wazzo dectet. Having cancelled my order with amazon.co.uK for the 4-CD + Blu-ray set (they made a total mess of both the listing and the order) I was pleased to receive, this morning a dispatch confirmation email from Chalkys.com, to whom I switched the order yesterday, How long it will take Royal Mail to process it, is another matter. An order placed with Presto Classical ten days ago (2nd class mail) is still stuck in the post.

Comment

The Presto order now delivered, and Savall's Schubert 9th duly auditioned, this evening it's AMMs final performance, Cafe OTO, July 30th this year.

Comment

Mention must be made of this particular recording owing to my having listened to it quite a lot recently. I am much more familiar with the version of this tune on album Personae so it's nice listening to this one, which is more intricate and involved. I've ordered a copy of the CD (it's the only one of Hellborg and Lane's officially-released collaborations that I don't have, aside from a few releases under erstwhile Santana drummer Michael Shrieve, and I chanced upon quite a few live recordings on Jeff Sipe's bandcamp page t'other day).

Hellborg/Lane/Sipe - 'Time is the Enemy' from Time is the Enemy -

Comment

Babble
          That Petrol Emotion.

Please feel free to put me right on this, but quite a bit of their early music sounds as if it might have found a bigger audience in the 90s rather than the mid to late 80s.

Some fabulous stuff on here in any case, not least the almost- hit Big Decision, which really should have been a top 10 record.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Jimi Hendrix Experience playing 'Red House' in Stockholm, 1969:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              I've ordered a copy of the CD
              ... which arrived about an hour ago and is currently spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                ... which arrived about an hour ago and is currently spinning.
                If nobody can see a CD spinning, is it really spinning ?

Currently:
                Heads and Heart by South London's Finest, The Sound.

a wonderful band.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

An early version of Frank Zappa's 'Zoot Allures' live at Zagreb, November 21, 1975:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupZoot Allures (Live In Zagreb, November 21, 1975) · Frank ZappaZAPPA ’75: Zagreb/Ljubljana℗ 2022 UMG Recordings, I...

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                    An early version of Frank Zappa's 'Zoot Allures' live at Zagreb, November 21, 1975:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupZoot Allures (Live In Zagreb, November 21, 1975) · Frank ZappaZAPPA ’75: Zagreb/Ljubljana℗ 2022 UMG Recordings, I...

JR
                    There are many fine discoveries among recent Zappa releases, including those Zagreb/Ljubljana performances, relative audio quality weaknesses notwithstanding.

Comment

Just drawing attention to tonight's Late Junction's (11pm) inclusion of Keith Rowe; also of electric bassist Melvin Gibbs, some may remember from his mid-80s association with Ronald Shannon Jackson's power funk Decoding Society, and actor-cum singer/composer Keeley Forsyth:

Verity Sharp celebrates moments of artistic reinvention and musical New Year resolutions.

I recommend this programme to all who contribute to this, er, broadly-defined sub-forum.

Comment

Jimi Hendrix Experience playing 'Red House' live at San Diego Sports Arena, May 1969:

Provided to YouTube by Legacy RecordingsRed House (Live San Diego Sports Arena, May 25, 1969) · Jimi HendrixHendrix In The West℗ 2011 Experience Hendrix L.L....

JR

Comment

This is a good set.

Comment

The first band I ever saw live was Dolly Mixture.
                            Even in the late 70’s which saw real progress for women musicians in rock music , they sere a rare example of an all women band playing their own material. ( Apparently the Go Gos are still the only all women band to have a no 1 album in America playing mostly original material.)

Anyway, Dolly Mixture did a very neat line in tuneful pop/ punk ( or power pop) which won them plenty of accolades , if not much commercial success.
                            A short career more or less ended with a release of a double album of demos which I bought , like all their records, on release.
                            Their songs have a distinctive style, with some individuality.

Their are certainly quite a few songs worthy of rescuing and covering .
                            The Didn’t Song.

Comment

Donald Fagen - Kamikiriad

Comment

Enjoying a hits of Irving Berlin cd, not sure where I found it, probably a charity shop.
                                Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Working...
                                X