What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
    More or less exactly what i said a few posts back. I don't agree about Belew's vocals with that incarnation of King Crimson though. If David Byrne had fronted that band we would really have heard something, but Belew sounds to me too much like a generic American rock singer. I have to say though that KC's entire output is spoiled for me by all the vocalists (and most of the lyrics) being close to unlistenable.
    The odd thing here is that Belew's vocal delivery has always reminded me of Byrne's and vice versa! Belew could seamlessly slip into TH's Once In A Lifetime, and Byrne (e.g.) into KC's Thela Hun Ginjeet - they sound almost interchangeable to me on certain songs!​

What I was never a fan of was John Wetton's mediocre singing in KC or the short-lived 'supergroup' UK.

Comment

I have never listened to a Talking Heads album and not much liked the odd tracks I have heard. Just lately I have been on a kosmische binge with much Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze to the fore.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        Belew's vocal delivery has always reminded me of Byrne's and vice versa!
        They do have similarities of course, especially in both being what in other contexts would be called high tenors. But for me there's a certain edge to Byrne's vocals where Belew sounds relaxed. In the KC track you mention, for example, when he repeatedly says "this is a dangerous place", he doesn't sound particularly worried, whereas Byrne certainly would. But I'm not so keen on rock singers in general.

Comment

I would say Remain in Light is by some distance their best album.
          I actually rateThe Name of this Band is Talking Heads above any of the studio albums. The live versions of The Great Curve, Crosseyed and Painless and Born under Punches go far beyond the studio accounts, which were already the best tracks on Remain. Byrne, in particular is a man possessed throughout this record, delivering performances for which the description "committed" is an understatement! Superlative backing from the likes of Belew, Worrell and co make this a great record. There are also classic accounts of Life During Wartime, Drugs, Cities, I Zimbra etc which lift this far beyond the realms of the average yawn inducing, diehards only live effort.
          Last edited by Sir Velo; 07-11-23, 13:39.

Comment

I'm not so keen on rock singers in general.
            Nor me. Listening chronologically recently through some of my early 70s Prog Rock albums to try and retrieve that feeling of the times they seemed so much of, many of the vocals (not to mention the lyrics! ) now seem really OTT and cringeworthy.

Comment

I love Adrian Belew's singing with Frank Zappa's tremendous band on 'City Of Tiny Lites', recorded at the Palladium, Halloween, 1977:

JR

Comment

The Maverick Years 80-81 Pete Wylie and The Mighty Wah!

His best music is really outstanding, and sometimes , as on Word to the Wise Guy, quite adventurous. A shame that he isn’t more prolific.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I've mentioned this album before, but I recommend Blur's Think Tank, which we had on while I made tea earlier today. I think it really shows the variety of influence in Blur's music, and there is plenty in the textural and timbral departments to enjoy, not to mention some strong song-writing. I think the first two songs are the best, but there's much to enjoy in the remainder of the album too. The second song, 'Out Of Time' was a single and is the best track IMO, it is really beautiful, with verses based around a Phrygian mode, changing to the relative Ionian for the choruses - and the textural aspects are lovely, especially the sounds of a Moroccan orchestra during the guitar solo. Not all the songs are great but the album is definitely worth listening to.

Blur - Out Of Time (Official Music VIdeo) - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    I've mentioned this album before, but I recommend Blur's Think Tank, which we had on while I made tea earlier today. I think it really shows the variety of influence in Blur's music, and there is plenty in the textural and timbral departments to enjoy, not to mention some strong song-writing. I think the first two songs are the best, but there's much to enjoy in the remainder of the album too. The second song, 'Out Of Time' was a single and is the best track IMO, it is really beautiful, with verses based around a Phrygian mode, changing to the relative Ionian for the choruses - and the textural aspects are lovely, especially the sounds of a Moroccan orchestra during the guitar solo. Not all the songs are great but the album is definitely worth listening to.

Blur - Out Of Time (Official Music VIdeo) - YouTube

Only really know the hit singles, so might give that a go.

Currently listening toe Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, by Spirit.

Easy to see why this is so highly regarded. Plenty of ( apparently) effortless eclecticism that works very well indeed.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what is so remarkable about Taylor Swift please??

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Just back from our second time seeing the Talking Heads movie directed by Jonathan Demme. First time last weekend was in IMAX and was terrific whereas tonite was ‘standard’. Still pretty impressive though. Fabulous sound!

Only problem was that the audience felt too inhibited to get up and dance. Maybe next time…
                        I saw the final concert of the Stop Making Sense tour (Melbourne 1984). They did a couple of festival sets in New Zealand shortly after but that was it as a live group. It was a great experience, I remember them as being a bit looser and wilder than on the LA concerts in the film. I'm not an unconditional Talking Heads fan but Remain in Light still gets a regular outing at home where I'm not too inhibited to get up and dance! I'm particularly fond of this live version:

Last edited by duncan; 10-11-23, 18:19. Reason: Perhaps the link works now?

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post

I saw the final concert of the Stop Making Sense tour (Melbourne 1984). They did a couple of festival sets in New Zealand shortly after but that was it as a live group. It was a great experience, I remember them as being a bit looser and wilder than on the LA concerts in the film. I'm not an unconditional Talking Heads fan but Remain in Light still gets a regular outing at home where I'm not too inhibited to get up and dance! I'm particularly fond of this live version:

https://youtu.be/2KQjy02eqOk?si=_kvGB7iUbG62H9w0
                          Wow! That was terrific. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

I actually rateThe Name of this Band is Talking Heads above any of the studio albums. The live versions of The Great Curve, Crosseyed and Painless and Born under Punches go far beyond the studio accounts, which were already the best tracks on Remain. Byrne, in particular is a man possessed throughout this record, delivering performances for which the description "committed" is an understatement! Superlative backing from the likes of Belew, Worrell and co make this a great record. There are also classic accounts of Life During Wartime, Drugs, Cities, I Zimbra etc which lift this far beyond the realms of the average yawn inducing, diehards only live effort.
                            The recordings of the Remain tracks on TNOTBITH are superb. But having heard these songs played live both in the US and here in the early 80s, I think they have been 'studio enhanced'.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Can anyone tell me what is so remarkable about Taylor Swift please??
                              Her sales numbers.

Comment

Hungry Beat, a collection of the Fire Engines recordings.
                                The music of all of the big hitters from that scene has aged remarkably well, I think, and the Fire Engines,Beefheart influenced for sure, are no exception.

Comment

Working...
                                X