What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

The Tourists, in fact, rather than the Pretenders , as I’m sure you meant to say.
    before the Tourists, Annie Lennox was musical partner with the talented ex folk musician Peet Coombes, who wrote almost all of the Tourists original material, much of which was very good pop/rock , despite their lack of fashionable status.
    I suspect that AL may at some point have had a helping hand from Elton John, both being ex RAM , but I can’t remember why I suspect this !!

Coombes must have found Lennox and Stewart’s stratospheric success with Eurythmics quite difficult to take, as his own career fizzled out, and he died too early.
    Ah, no, I have no knowledge of what happened to Stewart after National Health and Bruford....I asked my wife what was the name of the collaboration of Stewart and Annie Lennox and she said The Pretenders, but I'm sure she meant Eurythmics.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Ah, no, I have no knowledge of what happened to Stewart after National Health and Bruford....I asked my wife what was the name of the collaboration of Stewart and Annie Lennox and she said The Pretenders, but I'm sure she meant Eurythmics.
      No doubt she did. I assumed, incorrectly, that you meant the Tourists as they weren’t a million miles from the Pretenders in style.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Anyway, leaving all that aside, currently “ This Last Night in Sodom” , Soft Cell’s swansong album.
        a really excellent LP, left field pop/rock that pulls no punches musically or lyrically, and sounds vibrant and interesting 40 years on.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I think some people are confusing two different Dave Stewarts? The Dave Stewart in Hatfield & The North and National Health did do a single which got into the charts early 80s with one of the Northettes - the "backing group" in Hatfields - I can't remember her name right now. Ah yes, Amanda Parsons.

Comment

• anorak
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I think some people are confusing two different Dave Stewarts? The Dave Stewart in Hatfield & The North and National Health did do a single which got into the charts early 80s with one of the Northettes - the "backing group" in Hatfields - I can't remember her name right now. Ah yes, Amanda Parsons.
            Yes, Dave Stewart and David A. Stewart. A mistake that is probably being made all the time. Rather like jazz keyboard players Lonnie Smith and Lonnie Liston Smith. The former eventually changed his name to Dr. Lonnie Smith to avoid confusion.

Comment

• anorak
              • Apr 2024

Currently listening to 'Outer Dark' by Bill Laswell...
              Artist: Bill LaswellAlbum: Outer DarkLabel: Fax +49-69/450464Year: 19941. Chakra [00:00]2. Ananta (Passing Dream) [24:14]Request album uploads here: https://...

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Dave Lloyd Stewart’s hits in 1981 were with Colin Blunstone and then with Barbara Gaskin, “ It’s My Party” reaching the top of the charts.
                He has worked with her ever since apparently .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Dave Lloyd Stewart’s hits in 1981 were with Colin Blunstone and then with Barbara Gaskin, “ It’s My Party” reaching the top of the charts.
                  He has worked with her ever since apparently .
                  Barbara Gaskin - ah yes! Thanks very much for correcting me on that.

Comment

• burning dog
                    • Dec 2010

Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady

Genius Soul/Funk 1971. In my opinion this is about as good as it gets!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Always like Dusty Springfield very much, but didn’t know much beyond the singles and Dusty in Memphis. I bought a set of the first five albums, and was really surprised at the quality of the music. Excellent stuff, and often a showcase for a different side to her singing.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 13-06-24, 23:12.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

As with Dusty, until quite recently I didn’t know all that much of The Kinks music beyond their extraordinary run of 60s singles, Village Green and Arthur.
                        Been listening to a few of their other 60s albums recently, and they are full of ideas and gems of songs.
                        it must be said too, that the deluxe CD releases are , unusually, well worth investing in, giving real and musically very valuable context to the actual albums. Kinda Kinks is an excellent example of this.

Comment

Working...
                        X