Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube: the thread for interesting video links

On the old R3 place a kind member began a thread where people could share serendipitious pieces and performances found in places like YouTube, foreign versions of iPlayer (Radio France) etc. I start this one in the hope that others have discoveries.

I do not often hunt for Grieg's piano pot-boiler but whilst looking up random bits of Artur Rubinstein I discovered this revelatory performance and he was 88 years of age then. I heard him, a few years before that, play the Grieg with a Chopin and Beethoven concerto all in one concert.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That was a good thread, wasn't it Chris?

Thanks for reminding us of what a wonderful pianist Artur Rubenstein was.

Here's a younger Rubinstein giving his considerable all in Rachmaninov's Rhapsody On A Theme of Paganini

Rhapsody on a Theme of PaganiniOp. 43 in A minorSergei RachmaninoffSoloist: Arthur RubinsteinConductor: Alfred WallensteinPart 1 of 2

Rhapsody on a Theme of PaganiniOp. 43 in A minorSergei RachmaninoffSoloist: Arthur RubinsteinConductor: Alfred WallensteinPart 2 of 2

And what an ending!

Comment

Another master pianist, Benno Moiseiwitsch plays Schumann Fantasiestucke op 12

Comment

Arts Against Cuts at Sotheby's

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Nice try but a tad genteel, dontcha think? No work made for Sketchley's, for example

I did enjoy the appearance of Rowley Birkin QC at around 54" to the right of the banner

Leastways, I think it was Rowley

Comment

Brill, Bryn.

Comment

An absolutely electrifying performance from Swiss choir Moltocantabile of Eric Whitacre's When David heard. This lot sing from memory too...

Buy the CD now in the iTunes Store or on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Einklang/dp/B004339UP6/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1288872417&sr=301-4molto cantab...

Comment

There is a wealth of fascinating material on youtube at present, a few nights ago I watched a video of Martha Graham in the complete original version of Copland's Appalachian Spring, completely wonderful!

Comment

If you have just a couple of minutes, here's a really lovely performance of one of RVW's folk song arrangements. Utterly unpretentious, sounds so easy.

The choir of Hendon St Mary's sing Ralph Vaughan Williams' setting of the folk song Dark Eyed Sailor. This piece was sung during a concert that concluded a w...

(See the What music makes you cry? thread )

Comment

Have you seen this one? Here's a great clip of Maria Joao Pires at an Amsterdam rehearsal, at the moment she realises she's not about to play the Mozart concerto she thought she was-- and then pulling the whole thing out of her memory and playing anyway!

Maria Joao Pires amazing time whaen she was supposed to play a certain Mozart concerto and she had to play another, in front of an audience in Amsterdam.

Comment

#10 Wonderful! Such a lovely smile when Chailly starts and such a beautiful player.

Comment

#10 - bizarre - how on earth could that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                          #10 - bizarre - how on earth could that happen?
                          Somewhere on youtube there is a film of a masterclass by Pires with some young students and her 'style' is very confrontational and aggressive. I doubt that a man would have got away with it. The two instances tend to suggest to me that, while a great artist and performer, Pires is a tad ... flaky.

I was amazed that Chailly carried on, but I interpreted it as 'time is precious: you are a professional lke me - pull yourself together' ... and it seemed to work

I do realise that my interpretation here might be saying more about me than about Pires or Chailly

Comment

Are you sure that was a rehearsal? A fair few in attendance in the hall if it was.

Comment

does Chailly wear his sweat-towel in performance too?

Comment

Working...
                              X