The Sound and the Fury: a Century of Music.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anotherbob
    • Sep 2011

Looking forward to this.
    How the early 20th century saw a fragmented, abstract, discordant sound come to the fore.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Well, I hope it's better (it couldn't be much worse!) than the site opening "blurb":

The first episode looks at the shift in the language and sound of music from the beautiful melodies and harmonies of the giants of classical music such as Mozart (he of the "too many notes"?) , Haydn and Brahms ("that talentless bastard"? according to Tchaikovsky) into the fragmented, abstract, discordant sound of the most radical composers of the new century - Schoenberg, Webern, Stravinsky and beyond.

Schönberg "fragmented"? "abstract"? And who, at the beginning of the Century went "beyond" Arnie, Tony, and Iggy?

This makes it sound as if the series is just going to trapse out the same old (same, old) clichés - "Classical" Music = "beautiful"; 20thCentury = "nasty".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• anotherbob
      • Sep 2011

I shall be watching without prejudice.
      I expect I may have heard "Schoenberg, Webern, Stravinsky and beyond." but I can't be sure.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

New Series 1/3 on BBC4 at 9pm tonight.

Exploring the changes in classical music during the 20th century, as composers such as Schoenberg and Stravinsky challenged audiences with radically different sounds.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          New Series 1/3 on BBC4 at 9pm tonight.

Exploring the changes in classical music during the 20th century, as composers such as Schoenberg and Stravinsky challenged audiences with radically different sounds.

Oh! Thank you for the reminder, saly

And I've found that tonight on the BBC red button (on my Freeview it's Channel 301) from 21.55 to 5am (! ... presumably repeated on a loop) will be the following:

"Full performance footage from the latest episode of the documentary, featuring music from Charles Ives, Anton Webern and Arnold Schoenberg"

Last edited by french frank; 12-02-13, 22:50. Reason: Sorry - I edited in error
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Will there be features linked to it on Radio 3?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I missed it as I was making a rather large heap of pancakes
              but did have a question asked from the front room
              "who on earth is the idiot called Whitacre who is going on about how ugly Schoenberg's music is ?"

can't wait

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

found it rather good, Bartok Prokofiev etc must be later ... but we got to Gershwin .... rather 'if it's Tuesday it must be NY' but that happens when too much is crammed into an hour ... more music would not have gone amiss and more contemporary reactions rather than talking heads with asymmetric hair ...
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Very American? Or am I being biased?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    I missed it ...
                    Catch it in HD on Friday.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

the BBC4 "modern classical music collection"

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.
                      Last edited by mercia; 13-02-13, 06:04.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Very American? Or am I being biased?
                        I thought so, too. It was very like a television version of The Rest is Noise. I don't think they mentioned Copland, but I suppose he wasn't avant-garde, so perhaps he doesn't count - except neither was Gershwin and there was plenty about him.

Comment

• amateur51

I enjoyed this quite a lot and it made me want to see the next part.

But who is Alex Ross? I've read his book The Rest Is Noise but he is not an engratiating TV presence whereas I thought that George Benjamin was a real find and MTT wasn't far behind. The things that John Adams had to say about Schoenberg made me fear for any further contributions that he has to make, as well. And Eric Whitacre was very ... inconsequential

Very American as others have said - did the 2Oth century not happen in Europe/UK after WWII ?

A fair start then but I'd have preferred it if they had re-shown Rattle's Leaving Home series with some up-dating Why is that series still so expensive on DVD?

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I still haven't seen it but recorded it luckily. Had serious computer problems and seen no TV yet today.

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Thought It was good, and was fascinating to see the footage of Stravinsky, though like with The Howard Goodall series the emphasis is very much so far at least on Western Music

Comment

Working...
                              X