• Show
Clear All

Thanks!
    I'd better contribute to it now.

Comment

This afternoon at our local church:' Music for Mother's Day'

Dvorak: Tales My Mother Told Me
      Bach: Ricercare a 6-part fugue from A Musical Offering
      Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht (preceded by a reading of Dehmel's poem)
      Brahms: Sextet Opus 18

Quartetto Familia and Friends

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'm with Boulez on this work. It would be fine had the composer just kept the opening movement and the ones numbered Turangalila and ditched the rest, especially the godawful Song of Love.
        WTF!

SA

This is one of my favourite pieces of Classical Music. I particularly love this slow music and think the transcribe blackbird song is one of the most evocative pieces of 20th century composition. I have this on record and have heard the Turangalila performed live in concert. Messaien's orchestral voicings are incredible.

For what it is wirth, my Mum was very much into composers like Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert and I was forever trying to get her taste to broaden after she had been put off 20th century music by her familiarity with Stavinsky where she learned the piano transcription of Right of Spring when she was a teenager. I took her to hear the Messaien symphony and was absolutely loved it. To hear the music performed live is a spectacular experience which I feel is hard to beat when it comes to large scale classical works.

If you are a birdwatcher like me, I think the appeal is enahnced even more.

After reading your post, I am worried that you might be turning into Jeremy Clarkson! 🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post

WTF!

SA

This is one of my favourite pieces of Classical Music. I particularly love this slow music and think the transcribe blackbird song is one of the most evocative pieces of 20th century composition. I have this on record and have heard the Turangalila performed live in concert. Messaien's orchestral voicings are incredible.

For what it is wirth, my Mum was very much into composers like Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert and I was forever trying to get her taste to broaden after she had been put off 20th century music by her familiarity with Stavinsky where she learned the piano transcription of Right of Spring when she was a teenager. I took her to hear the Messaien symphony and was absolutely loved it. To hear the music performed live is a spectacular experience which I feel is hard to beat when it comes to large scale classical works.

If you are a birdwatcher like me, I think the appeal is enahnced even more.

After reading your post, I am worried that you might be turning into Jeremy Clarkson! 🤣🤣
          The Right of Spring is, of course, to follow Winter and precede Summer. I'm not sure what Autumn is or isn't entitled to do.

Comment

At Snape last night: The Sixteen with Robert Quinney (organ) in the Duruflé Requiem and Gregorian motets, together with other French and Swiss sacred music. Having read a mixed review in the Guardian of this programme given at St Martin-in-the-Fields, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I found the whole concert most satisfying, without any of the shortcomings described by Flora Willson. (Perhaps the digital organ didn't have any of the 'gritty' sounds she disliked.) That said, I do prefer the orchestral version of the Duruflé.

Comment

Working...
            X