X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Janos Starker RIP

His early recordings of Bach, Beethoven and Brahms were fundamental in the growth of my delight in chamber music.

• Black Swan

Truly sad news. I grew up near Bloomington, Indiana and had several opportunities to hear Starker in recitals at Indiana University where he was a member of the faculty. I have several recordings of him playing chamber music and concerto's.

RIP

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

My first notes of unaccompanied Bach came from his recording of the 6th suite, played to me "blind" by a friend, never forgotten.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Very sad to hear the death of thgis great cellist Janos Starker. Truly one of the best cellists ever. Up there with Casals, Fournier and Rostropovich. RIP
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Oh another great musician gone. I'vejust heard him on records, never seen him but am sad to hear the news.

RIP Janos Stsrker

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Those wonderful Mercurys!... Dvorak, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Lalo, Tchaikovsky, Bruch...

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Those wonderful Mercurys!... Dvorak, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Lalo, Tchaikovsky, Bruch...
              .. and the Brahms Cello Sonatas with his friend and fellow Hungarian György Sebők.

At the moment I am remembering him by playing the Beethoven Triple where he is partnered by Claudio Arrau and Henryk Szeryng.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I'm pretty sure the recording I have of Kodaly's extraordinary solo cello sonata is by Starker - unsurpassable wouild be my verdict.

My father had the Columbia LP of him doing the Dvorak concerto coupled with Faure's Elegie - the picture of Starker on the front always reminded me of Bernard Bressau.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I'm pretty sure the recording I have of Kodaly's extraordinary solo cello sonata is by Starker - unsurpassable wouild be my verdict.
                  And mine! One of the greatest bargain LPs ever (Saga), coupled with K's Duo for violin and cello Op7 - sheer magic. RIP.
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• amateur51

My first encounter with Starker was the early Saga set of Beethoven cello sonatas, and the JS Bach cello suites.

Once heard, never forgotten.

Thank you, Maestro

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

His Brahms Double with Schneiderhan is one of my favourite recordings, and his Bloch Schelomo and Voice in the Wilderness were wonderful . RIP Janos.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        And mine! One of the greatest bargain LPs ever (Saga), coupled with K's Duo for violin and cello Op7 - sheer magic. RIP.
                        I had/have that too. Lovely, plus the Bach also mentioned.

Sad indeed, though in truth I didn't realise he was still with us until recently. He features quite a bit in the Mercury box set - some great stuff in there.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                          Truly sad news. I grew up near Bloomington, Indiana and had several opportunities to hear Starker in recitals at Indiana University where he was a member of the faculty. I have several recordings of him playing chamber music and concerto's.

RIP
                          A friend of mine had her daughter study with Starker at Bloomington. She later gave up performing due to severe stage fright but had nothing but kind words about Starker as a teacher.
                          I was just playing his Mercury recordings (remastered for SACD) of the Dvorak, Lalo, and Schumann Concertos this week, and marveling at the purity of his sound.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

His recording of the Dohnanyi Konzertstuck is a particular favourite of mine.

Comment

• Colonel Danby
                              • Nov 2010

Another sad loss to the musical world. I never saw him live, but his recordings of the Dvorak and other works were highly valued.

RIP Janos

Comment

Working...
                              X