Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Thank you, Beefy, that's most interesting. I shall endeavour to have a listen to some of his music. Your mention of Humperdinck is interesting; I know he was a passionate Wagnerian and musical assistant to Wagner himself- he composed some extra bars of music for Parsifal when a scene change took longer than expected- but I've just read* that he was also Siegfried's music tutor. So your mention of his influence is clearly spot on!

*(In Jonathan Carr's fascinating "The Wagner Clan". I highly recommend it if you haven't read it already.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wagner-C...he+wagner+clan
    Try 'Der Kobold' too, it's a good listen.

I have that book on my shelf (for the last 8years!), there is an edition without Adolf on the cover too!

Comment

I have oftrenwondered about SW's music, so I was wondering if there is any on Youtube
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

A friend of mine has just let me kinow of Hans Knappersbusch's recording with George London as Wotan, i think in 1955, on Youtube! Check it out.If you havnt, an absolute must. The recording sadly n/a, at the moment.
        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          A friend of mine has just let me kinow of Hans Knappersbusch's recording with George London as Wotan, i think in 1955, on Youtube! Check it out.If you havnt, an absolute must. The recording sadly n/a, at the moment.
          I beg to differ - if you look up amazon UK for Decca "The Singers" George London - ASIN B00005MCST(just paste in the ASIN), you will find this.
          I used to use this as one of my favourite Demo discs for judging possible new hi-fi during the 60s and again much later when it came out on CD.
          Quite possibly the greatest recording of Wotan's Abschied ever.

Comment

Originally posted by slarty View Post
            I beg to differ - if you look up amazon UK for Decca "The Singers" George London - ASIN B00005MCST(just paste in the ASIN), you will find this.
            I used to use this as one of my favourite Demo discs for judging possible new hi-fi during the 60s and again much later when it came out on CD.
            Quite possibly the greatest recording of Wotan's Abschied ever.
            Thank you slarty, I will look that up-.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

aargh cont'd

stuff Wagner this piece by Anonymous knocks him into a cocked hat

John Shea presents choral music from St Rombout's Cathedral, Mechelen in Flanders.

27' min in; an Anonymous setting of Confitebor tibi, Domine (Psalm) for soprano, strings and continuo

what melodic clarity, serenity and utter lack of bombast ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
              X