Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Heffer presenting British music throughout June: Saturday Classics

Some agreeable Saturday afternoons in prospect for the fans of British music here

Simon Heffer celebrates music by Holst, Howells, Arnold, Ethel Smyth and John Foulds.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Some agreeable Saturday afternoons in prospect for the fans of British music here

Simon Heffer celebrates music by Holst, Howells, Arnold, Ethel Smyth and John Foulds.

Good spot Rumpole you are on patrol early.....

Comment

... and for those of us who are not fans of British music ; and for those of us who are not fans of Simon Heffer ; and for those of us who, currently, are not fans of Radio 3 at all - o the joys of books and CDs....

Comment

is this a repeat of his four programmes from January 2012 ?

just asking

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... and for those of us who are not fans of British music ; and for those of us who are not fans of Simon Heffer ; and for those of us who, currently, are not fans of Radio 3 at all - o the joys of books and CDs....

Blithely put, vints Has a glass or two of the Old Infuriator been taken at luncheon?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post

just asking
            How can we tell?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post

just asking
              It does say 'First broadcast Saturday 01 June 2013', so presumably new. I did hear from RW that there were some who considered his manner of presentation (knowledgeable and serious) too "Third Programme'. With apologies to M Vinteuil, my response was that I had heard otherwise via this forum, that the knowledgeable and serious aspect went down rather well.

Ah, also apols to am51.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Good spot Rumpole you are on patrol early.....

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                o the joys of books and CDs....

Pleased to have made you happy, vinrosé ! I'm sure Mr Heffer would share similar sentiments.

Re repeats: I looked hard, no sign of the dreaded (R)...

Comment

I reckon as long as you have a posh accent you can be considered knowledgeable

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    How can we tell?

I think it is not - the originals had no Bate or Musgrave IIRC.

Comment

i see that his opinions are untroubled by evidence if it is that Simon Heffer .....
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Well spotted that man. I might have missed this if you hadn't been in the crows nest.

I am no fan of Fatty Heffer's politics or his world view, but he certainly knows how to put a music programme together and then present it. His last effort was a delight. See
                        Simon Heffer presents music by Bliss, Moeran, Howells, Stanford, Warlock and Cyril Scott.

Simon Heffer with music by Patrick Hadley, Alan Rawsthorne, Britten, Bax, Holst, Delius.

Simon Heffer presents music by George Lloyd, Finzi, Butterworth, Walton and Alwyn.

Simon Heffer presents music by Parry, Ireland, Williams, Bridge, Berkeley and Elgar.

And by coincidence I was listening to a CD of Gerald Finzi's songs when I read your post ("Let us garlands bring" on Naxos). Fatty introduced me to Finzi's songs when he played "By footpath and by stile".

Radio 3 does however have to spoil it with the web page . Union Jack bow tie. Ugh! Who at the BBC decides these things?

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post

Radio 3 does however have to spoil it with the web page . Union Jack bow tie. Ugh! Who at the BBC decides these things?
                          My thoughts exactly - such a shame - lazy predictable thinking
                          Last edited by Guest; 25-05-13, 14:13. Reason: tidying up

Comment

Well spotted that man. I might have missed this if you hadn't been in the crows nest
                            Pleased to oblige! (Good to hear about the Finzi too )

I am no fan of Fatty Heffer's politics or his world view, but he certainly knows how to put a music programme together and then present it. His last effort was a delight.
                            My thoughts exactly...

Comment

I am no fan of Fatty Heffer's politics or his world view, but he certainly knows how to put a music programme together and then present it. His last effort was a delight ... Fatty introduced me to Finzi's songs when he played "By footpath and by stile".
                              Yep. Don't judge his music (programmes) by his world view. Wagner, anyone?

Answer: People who across a whole range of subjects are too young and too ignorant to understand. But that's just my view.

I bet SH avoids discussing Breakfast &c. with RW - given what he (SH) has written about Classic FM. A job's a job, after all, and he gets slots on The Essay too..
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X