This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I wasn't sure if this really meant 1-3, or 4-6, which is what the first 3 films have become? I haven't seen 1-3 (the recent ones).
    ? So #6 is From the New World?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      ? So #6 is From the New World?

As I understand it, 4 is "A New Hope, 5 is "The Empire Strikes Back" and 6 is "The Return of the Jedi". The current 1-3 were not even a gleam in George Lucas's eye in 1977....

Comment

Was this project abandoned through lack of voters? I'd quite like to see what the top 10 results were if SuffolkCoastal did collate them even though it would not accurately show what film music (if any) R3 listeners like.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I'd quite like to see what the top 10 results were if SuffolkCoastal did collate them even though it would not accurately show what film music (if any) R3 listeners like.
          Hear, hear. The paucity of response was, I take it, more to do with exhaustion from the barrage of Radio 2 content. Not intended as a snub to Radio 2, but for goodness sake, the BBC list was drawn up by five DJ/presenters from across BBC Radio so it's not clear why so much of it ended up on Radio 3. (Well, it is clear, but that's another story).

But I would like to know what the top music was. I'd guess Alexander Nevsky at No 1.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Hear, hear. The paucity of response was, I take it, more to do with exhaustion from the barrage of Radio 2 content.
            Well, do you know what frenchie - I fail to understand these constant references to Radio 2 and Radio 3 being turned into Radio 2.5 because, looking at the R2 schedules, it seems to be a programme dedicated to Golden Oldies of the 60s rather than a 'light British Music' diet. (Confess I haven't listened to R2 since some, was it MP or other did some jazzy stuff? and Paul Jones, ditto jazzy stuff so I may be talking nonsense.) Surely the old Friday Night is Music Night and 100 Best Tunes bit the dust around 10 years ago?
            Do you really think Alexander Nevsky at No. 1? I'd reckon it was The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (a perfect description of R3 now! We shall await a verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Well, do you know what frenchie - I fail to understand these constant references to Radio 2 and Radio 3 being turned into Radio 2.5 because, looking at the R2 schedules, it seems to be a programme dedicated to Golden Oldies of the 60s rather than a 'light British Music' diet.
              I think Friday Night Is Music Night is still there. Given that the team of five 'movie music experts' were:

1 from Radio 1
              1 from Radio 2
              1 from the Asian Network
              1 from 6 Music and
              1 from R3

I took R2 as an approximate median. Its remit is:

The remit of Radio 2 is to be a distinctive mixed music and speech service, targeted at a broad audience, appealing to all age groups over 35.

It should offer entertaining popular music programmes and speech-based content including news, current affairs, documentaries, religion, arts, comedy, readings and social action output.

Nah, Nevsky for my money ... But the choice was greater in number than the people choosing, so perhaps none of them had more than one vote?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                .....perhaps none of them had more than one vote?

Paul Simon did - not that I was counting of course.......

Agree with Anna re R2, which Lady Gould and some daughters listen to quite a bit....FNIMN hangs on but the main thrust of the station seems to be at an average look back to about 1988 with signs of the sixties being up for the chop......

Comment

Oh Goodness, I missed this last night on Radio 2!
                  Tony Hall, Director-General of the BBC, speaks to Claudia with passion and enthusiasm about the future of the arts across the BBC, its importance for our cultural life as a nation and the legacy of the Cultural Olympiad
                  Sebastian Junger talks about the documentary he's made about his friend, photojournalist Tim Hetherington, who died covering the conflict in Libya
                  Crime writer Val McDermid discusses her latest chilling psychological thriller
                  Plus we go behind the scenes of the new West End musical The Commitments and talk to Roddy Doyle
                  And films with Xan Brooks, books with Samantha Buckley and the weekly arts round-up.

But, then, lookng at the schedule there is Graham Norton (| confess I like him!), sounds of the 60s and sounds of the 80s, a dismal schedule I think. But perhaps I'll have to have a listen.

Comment

My apologies for being late with this but the scores with the most votes were:

Scott of the Antarctic: Vaughan Williams 12
                    Henry V: Walton 11
                    Alexander Nevsky: Prokofiev 9
                    The Good the Bad and the Ugly: Morricone 8
                    The Third Man: Karas 8
                    For a few Dollars More: Morricone 7
                    Murder on the Orient Express: R R Bennett 7
                    Once upon a time in the West: Morricone 7
                    Psycho: Herrmann 7
                    Things to Come: A Bliss 7
                    Vertigo: Herrmann 7

To show the diverse tastes of Boarders a total of 152 films were voted for by the 20 odd members who voted!

Comment

Many thanks sc.
                      RVW top of the league.

Comment

Thanks from me as well. From memory the only one in the top 5 here with a similar placing on the BBC one is The Third Man but I cannot now remember if RVW or Walton were on the BBC list. I suspect not.

Comment

Many thanks Sc nice to see RVW at the top......

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                            To show the diverse tastes of Boarders a total of 152 films were voted for by the 20 odd members who voted!
                            As one of those "odd members", many thanks for your work, Suffy - especially on a day when I'm sure you have lots of other things to occupy your time.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I wonder how many of those are for the actual score in question
                              rather than the feeling that the composer is neglected ?

So if Elgar had written a terrible score (which is was clearly capable of !) I bet it would be in the top 3

Which isn't to say that RVW's score isn't tremendous stuff ! (It's certainly a greater achievement than the risible Scott himself !)

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

So if Elgar had written a terrible score (which is was clearly capable of !) ...
                                Please enlighten me...

Comment

Working...
                                X