X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Dipping a toe into Robert Simpson.....

I can't claim to be an aficionado of twentieth century British music, but over the last few days have been toying with Robert Simpson's music. I have read him (his 'Essence of Bruckner' and works on Nielsen in particular), but never really explored his symphonic output but am now tempted to do so.

Any advice on how I should go about this little voyage of discovery would be interesting to see. If you like his symphonies, what led you into them, what do you derive from them and how have you approached his music? Needless to say, pointers on favourite recordings are, as always, most welcome.

Thanks all,
    K.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
    I can't claim to be an aficionado of twentieth century British music, but over the last few days have been toying with Robert Simpson's music. I have read him (his 'Essence of Bruckner' and works on Nielsen in particular), but never really explored his symphonic output but am now tempted to do so.

Any advice on how I should go about this little voyage of discovery would be interesting to see. If you like his symphonies, what led you into them, what do you derive from them and how have you approached his music? Needless to say, pointers on favourite recordings are, as always, most welcome.

Thanks all,
    K.
    I was 'led into' an appreciation of Bob Simpson's music by playing 1st horn with the LSO in the early 1970s, in several concert performances and a subsequent commercial recording ( 'Unicorn'?) of his Symphony no.3, conducted by the great Jascha Horenstein.
    I find his music absolutely 'gripping' and also in some ways 'haunting' - somehow 'in the same breath' as Nielsen's 4th and 5th Symphonies.
    Coincidentally having not listened to Simpson #3 for at least 10 years, I spun the disc about a week ago and I now have an 'earworm' particularly from its 1st movement!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      I was 'led into' an appreciation of Bob Simpson's music by playing 1st horn with the LSO in the early 1970s, in several concert performances and a subsequent commercial recording ( 'Unicorn'?) of his Symphony no.3, conducted by the great Jascha Horenstein.
      I find his music absolutely 'gripping' and also in some ways 'haunting' - somehow 'in the same breath' as Nielsen's 4th and 5th Symphonies.
      Coincidentally having not listened to Simpson #3 for at least 10 years, I spun the disc about a week ago and I now have an 'earworm' particularly from its 1st movement!
      Charles Groves conducts the RPO in the premiere of Robert Simpson Symphony no 3 at The Proms in 1967.

Robert Simpson's 3rd Symphony received its Proms premiere in 1967 at the Royal Albert Hall with Charles Groves conducting the Royal Philharmonic. Like many o...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Well the Hyperion Handley complete symphony set is the best way to get to know them.
        I'll leave the technical and analytical stuff to the Roehres and fhgs of this world,I am not capable.
        I think it's music that needs proper concentrated listening and doesn't reveal it's secrets easily.
        For me,as soon as it clicked then my goodness,so rewarding it's untrue.

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

Interesting Rob - thank you (ditto Tony and Ammy).
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Interesting Rob - thank you (ditto Tony and Ammy).
            The Hyperion set also has some really excellent sleeve notes, which I found very helpful .

(some of the individual CDs are available at reasonable used prices on Amazon Market place).

Very exciting music. I would LOVE to see even one symphony performed live.......
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I'd start with the Ninth Symphony, Karafan, in this recording:

... which includes a substantial track devoted to the composer introducing this work. Simpson was almost as fine at talking about Music as he was writing it; I think you'll find the prospect of emerging the entire foot, leg and body after this irresistable - the ebb and flow of this Music makes for great swimming. (And, if the convoluted metaphor doesn't appeal, look at the price of the Second-hand disc!)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I'd start with the Ninth Symphony, Karafan, in this recording:

... which includes a substantial track devoted to the composer introducing this work. Simpson was almost as fine at talking about Music as he was writing it; I think you'll find the prospect of emerging the entire foot, leg and body after this irresistable - the ebb and flow of this Music makes for great swimming. (And, if the convoluted metaphor doesn't appeal, look at the price of the Second-hand disc!)
                From "Espansiva," a BBCTV Workshop presentation, directed by Barrie Gavin (1970 ca.).The speaker is the composer and BBC producer Robert Simpson. Nielsen's ...

Can't remember who flagged this up, but its brilliant.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

"Start at the very beginning, a very good place to start..."

...and I can't see why you shouldn't if you buy the Complete Symphonies. For me, Simpson reaches a peak of inspiration and musical organisation around Nos. 3, 4 and 5, so if you want to get separate issues I would go for 2/4 and 3/5. Yes, No.9 can be seen as some kind of magnum opus but you'll get more from it the later you hear it. Oddly enough, it never became a personal favorite for me. I feel his flame burns a little less brightly in 6, then moves sideways into the more Fantastic Journeys of 7 and 8. I'm very fond of No.10, melodically and rythmically very catchy and with intriguing structural parallels with Beethoven's Op.106 (which the composer rather plays down in the notes...!)
                  The slow movement of 10 is one of his most beautiful in an oeuvre not short of them... (and the painting on the Hyperion CD cover of No.10., The Cloud by Prince Eugene, happens to be one of the most beautiful too.)
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-10-13, 01:16.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    "Start at the very beginning, a very good place to start..."

...and I can't see why you shouldn't if you buy the Complete Symphonies. For me, Simpson reaches a peak of inspiration and musical organisation around Nos. 3, 4 and 5, so if you want to get separate issues I would go for 2/4 and 3/5. Yes, No.9 can be seen as some kind of magnum opus but you'll get more from it the later you hear it. .... I'm very fond of No.10, melodically and rythmically very catchy and with intriguing structural parallels with Beethoven's Op.106 (which the composer rather plays down in the notes...!)
                    The slow movement of 10 is one of his most beautiful in an oeuvre not short of them...
                    Cannot agree more

Btw, no.1 was the work which Simpson submitted as his doctorate thesis, and with great succes

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      The slow movement of 10 is one of his most beautiful in an oeuvre not short of them...
                      Yes. Simpson's Slow Movements generally find him at his most individual, I find - the thematic material seemingly floating along, driven by the current of a meandering stream of harmonic movement; "seeming", because in retrospect this improvisatory feel is all the service of tight structural control. He was a master of this dichotomy - it has its sources in the slow movements of Sibelius #4, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, or even RVW #6, but he makes it entirely his own.

His Scherzi I find least individual - some of them show a little too clearly the influence of Nielsen's (no bad thing) and the earlier ones sometimes get a little stuck in a "gallumphing" rhythmic groove. No such reservations by the time he reached No 7, and the Ninth is a work of powerful integration of form and content, style and idea, manner and substance.
                      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-10-13, 16:37.

Comment

• Karafan
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks all - have bitten the bullet and got the Handley set, so shall have to devote some time to it over the next few weeks. Thanks for the tips and pointers

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks all - have bitten the bullet and got the Handley set, so shall have to devote some time to it over the next few weeks. Thanks for the tips and pointers
                          ooh bravo Karafan - when you've done some digesting it would be good to hear about your thoughts svp

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                            • Nov 2011

I'm sure you won't regret your purchase, Karafan. I was given the set as a Christmas present some years ago (in response to several not-so-subtle hints) and consider it one of the more treasured items in my collection. Enjoy.

Afterwards, there's always the string quartets to look forward to.
                            Last edited by DublinJimbo; 01-10-13, 17:31.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                              AFterwards, there's always the string quartets to look forward to.

Sadly, not available as a boxed set - in fact, the number of "Used" copies on Amazon (and the paucity of "New") suggests that Hyperion have discontinued them. Perhaps this means they're about to be repackaged for Helios.

Comment

Working...
                              X