• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Robert Ashley 1930-2014

This from Kyle Gann

So the Wolfman is no longer with us

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

I have heard his name, but not his music. Listened to 'The Wolfman Part 1', and it's really good stuff - thanks for the link.

I guess as a hard drinker, he did well to get to 84.

RIP

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Strongly recommend the DVDs of his 'Private Life's, an opera for television (partly funded by, and first shown on, Channel 4.
      Last edited by Bryn; 04-03-14, 14:11.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I bought his "Nude Paper Sermon" on LP back in the early 70s - the first time the term "postmodern" came to my notice being in its liner notes. Great pastiche of 16th century madrigals on it - "pseudo Tudo" as my dad wouild have said.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

File under 'WMD'....??....

....resolve matters in a constructive way....
          bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Strongly recommend the DVDs of his 'Private Life's, an opera for television (partly funded by, and first shown on, Channel 4.

Comment

• hedgehog

Here is part 1 of Perfect Lives with the video

my favourite remains the bar (part 4) which I think was the first released on an LP before the whole of perfect lives:

I think the rest can be found on You Tube, but the dvd's are hard and expensive to come by. It would be great if there was a rerelease.

A quick look at birth dates reveals that Ashley was the oldest from the Sonic Arts Union (Lucier is one year younger).
              Last edited by Guest; 05-03-14, 08:33.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Here is part 1 of Perfect Lives with the video

my favourite remains the bar (part 4) which I think was the first released on an LP before the whole of perfect lives:

I think the rest can be found on You Tube, but the dvd's are hard and expensive to come by. It would be great if there was a rerelease.

A quick look at birth dates reveals that Ashley was the oldest from the Sonic Arts Union (Lucier is one year younger).
                Thanks for this

This is also worth watching if you get the chance

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I have Concrete reasons to be happy today. Back in May I placed an order with ReR Megacorp for the 2 CD set of the one Lovely Music Robert Ashley operatic release I did not have. ReR Megacorp was quoting the best price by a fair margin. Unfortunately it was out of stock and I was advised that if I still wished to order it it would have to wait for them to accumulate sufficient Lovely Music orders to justify the cost of shipping. When I got home today, there it was, waiting for me on the doormat. Many thanks to Dave at ReR Megacorp. That sorts out tonight's listening.

Comment

Working...
                  X