Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18.4.2011 - Mendelssohn

The programmes through the week focus on Mendelssohn's last seven years, 1841-1847.

1. 1841, Royal Prussian Kapellmeister in Berlin

2. 1843, return to Leipzig and the establishment of a new music conservatory

3. 1844, a return visit to London, the Violin Concerto*

4. 1844-45, leaving the service of the King of Prussia and residence in Berlin

5. 1846-47, Elijah**, death of Fanny Mendelssohn, String Quartet No 6.

* On Discovering Music, Sunday 24 April, 5pm

** Prom 58, Sunday, 28 August.
    Last edited by french frank; 15-04-11, 14:02.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

and Mendelssohn violin concerto is on Discovering Music on Sunday 24 April, which I will attempt to listen to. Its quite a good concerto, especially mvt 1. I wouldnt play it these days, of course. Heard it too many times!

3VS
    Last edited by Guest; 15-04-11, 13:25. Reason: the last s was accidently a lower case letter. I have now sacked my secretary here at the Hospital!

Comment

Thanks for that, 3VS. I only got as far as discovering there was no Discovering this coming Sunday.

Increasing signs of joined up thinking on R3 ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
        and Mendelssohn violin concerto is on Discovering Music on Sunday 24 April, which I will attempt to listen to. Its quite a good concerto, especially mvt 1. 3VS
        It is a fine concerto - preferable, I think, to his piano concertos. And it sorts out the problem of intrusive audience members clapping between movements.

Comment

Working...
        X