Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber - CotW 16-20/3/15

I enjoyed this survey of Weber's life and music, even though it would have been good to hear more of the unfamiliar pieces (e.g. solo piano works apart from the dreaded Invitation to the Dance). Weber has gone out of fashion, perhaps has long been out of fashion. In an age venerating the long and/or complex symphony, a contemporary of Beethoven and Schubert who generally avoided the genre (apart from a couple of short and uncomplicated efforts written when he was 20, one with an almost comically brief finale), is perhaps unsurprisingly considered something of a lightweight. We now hear few of his works for solo piano or piano and orchestra, even though some are technically very challenging (an example was the Konzertstuck which was broadcast during the week), not least because of Weber's very large hands. The operas are rarely staged, at least in Britain, because they are not thought to be good box-office and because of the absurdity of some of the libretti - though most opera plots are pretty absurd anyway. All we tend to hear these days, for the most part, are the clarinet works and the overtures.

Yet Weber's reputation was not always so low. Beethoven, whom Weber met, was impressed as many contemporaries were by Der Freischütz and said that Weber must write nothing but operas. Mendelssohn, Schumann, Berlioz and Liszt all admired Weber's music, as did later Mahler, who put on a cycle of Weber operas in Leipzig for the centenary of his birth and made a completion of Die Drei Pintos, and Stravinsky, whose Capriccio reflects the influence of Weber's Konzertstuck. And Wagner revered him as being effectively the founder of German opera, and arranged for him to be reburied in Dresden. That is a fair roll-call of composers who valued Weber's music highly. And there were critics too - particularly Donald Tovey, who wrote eloquently about the brilliance of the overtures, and prepared a new revised performing edition of Euryanthe with the collaboration of Rolf Lauckner.

I think it is a great shame that Weber is so undervalued today. With his orchestral writing particularly in the late operas he introduced a new range of colours and harmonies to the music which had a profound influence on later romantic composers. His writing for wind instruments, notably in the solo clarinet, bassoon and horn works, is eloquent and he had a great melodic gift. His masterpieces are his late operas, and though they are flawed in the case of Euryanthe(one of the first through-composed operas) and Oberon, the wonderful music they contain mean they deserve to be back in the operatic repertoire in this country.

P.S. And the old canard about Weber saying of the last movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony that LvB was "ripe for the madhouse" was almost certainly an invention of the hostile Schindler (Schindler even admitted that he may have got it wrong when he was challenged about it).
    Last edited by aeolium; 22-03-15, 13:12. Reason: Schindler invention

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Schindler even admitted that he may have got it wrong when he was challenged about it
    As in, he admitted he may not have said it? :-)

One of my first LPs was a 10" Richard Tauber record, including Durch die Wälder, durch die Auen from Der Freischütz (there's a YouTube video, but I have to admit, I probably prefer Jonas Kaufmann's Max now).

Yes, having resurrected him briefly, it would be good if Radio 3 gave him outings now and again (and yes, please not the Invitation...).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      As in, he admitted he may not have said it? :-)
      From John Warrack's biography of Weber:

"This [the "madhouse" remark] was cited by Schindler in his Beethoven biography but immediately challenged in two reviews protesting against Schindler's obsessive attacks on Weber. Schindler replied in one of these journals admitting that 'perhaps Weber was not the author of those bitter cricitisms of Beethoven's works which originally the well-known composer and writer living in Vienna, Baron von Lannoy, considered had come from C.M. Weber's pen...In this matter I was only a reporter.'"

Schindler did not however retract the allegation in later editions of his biography and dismissed objections with the comment that Weber's remark had appeared in print and would sooner or later turn up. It never has and, according to Warrack, "there is no shred of concrete evidence for it".

I wish the WNO would turn their attention to Weber, after a number of productions of Rossini's opera seria and Donizetti. Weber's operas were arguably more influential than those of either of those composers, and perhaps David Pountney will consider putting one on (and I'm sure Lothar Koenigs who is excellent in the Austro-German repertoire would bring out the best in the music).

Comment

Der Freischutz is a marvellous opera. I saw it several times in the Gotz Friedrich staging at Covent Garden years ago. Tuneful from beginning to end, and the tunes are in the service of the characterisation and the drama. A highlight which I will never forget was seeing Lucia Popp as Annchen. I saw Freischutz once with the WNO. Certainly it is high time time it was done again. I cannot understand why it seems to be overlooked these days.

The OAE are going to do a complete concert performance of Freischutz on period instruments as their 30th birthday concert in June. I am greatly looking forward to this. I would think that it would be broadcast.

There was an interesting Prom performance of Freischutz a year or two ago in the Berlioz version, in French, with John Eliot Gardiner. Fascinating and very effective.

I love Euryanthe, in my opinion its virtues greatly exceed its faults. The story of a wife unjustly suspected but whose virtue is discovered in the end seems uncomfortable nowadays but was popular in the 18th century. The supernatural element is decried by the critics, but has enormously effective music. There was a marvellous series of performances with the OAE at Glyndebourne in 2002. Unfortunately, due to adverse criticism (unjustified in my view) it was never revived. Weber sounds marvellous on period instruments. I have been waiting 30 years for the OAE to do Freischutz, and am excited that this is now going to come about.
        Last edited by David-G; 23-03-15, 09:26.

Comment

Working...
        X