No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheGuardian: Radio 3’s Composer of the Week turns 80

‘The human stories behind the music we love’:
    As the BBC programme celebrates a milestone, Donald Macleod – in the presenter’s chair for almost 25 years – reflects on its storytelling power and shares his own tales of Hollywood and handstands

is a nice long illustrated article with a place to leave a comment.

Thanks for posting this; I'd have missed it otherwise.

I welcomed his remark 'It's difficult and often inappropriate to apply today's morals to historic figures. '

How I wish that was generally appreciated today.

Comment

I'm surprised there were not more comments here on this. Even more surprisingly, for The Guardian, there were an enoooormous number of appreciative BTL comments. Even the comment: "Does anyone know if the Proms are broadcast on Radio 3 or where you can hear them if you miss one. It is hardly mentioned at all during the daily Radio 3 programming. You’d hardly think they were on" was immediately recognised for what it was
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes, if ever there was a 'plant' that was one.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Yes, if ever there was a 'plant' that was one.
          I read it as irony rather than a request for more Proms trails, please!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I'm surprised there were not more comments here on this. Even more surprisingly, for The Guardian, there were an enoooormous number of appreciative BTL comments. Even the comment: "Does anyone know if the Proms are broadcast on Radio 3 or where you can hear them if you miss one. It is hardly mentioned at all during the daily Radio 3 programming. You’d hardly think they were on" was immediately recognised for what it was
            Good one!

A nice post from DM today:

how to copy website link

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
            X