Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

But, ‘the reach’ of the Warsaw Concerto was huge. Here’s a quote from Wikipedia:
    • In an interview, the conductor Diego Masson recalled that the French modernist composer and conductor, and leader of the post-war avant-garde, Pierre Boulez was, in his youth, house pianist at the Folies Bergère Club in Paris “playing the Warsaw Concerto, engulfed in kitsch and lit by pinkish light – and that was while he was writing his second sonata
    [my emphasis.​]
    Wasn’t he once lowered from the ceiling of the Folies while playing a gold encrusted piano?

Comment

Whenever the 'Warsaw Concerto' comes on I think of Spike Milligan and the "bloody awful Warsaw Concerto" and yet, and yet, I always listen to it through and enjoy it. It may be pastiche but I think it's pretty well crafted music. I agree about the Hubert Bath piece - that seemed to be a pastiche of the Warsaw Concerto.

I wonder if there should be a thread for 'pieces that we really shouldn't like but do'...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Well Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for Vacuum Cleaner is quite amusing, or seemed to be at the time of its premiere. I think it was said that they had to go through an entire shopful of them to find ones with perfect pitch!
        Another vote for Malcolm Arnold from me. I find 'Tam O'Shanter' hilarious!

Comment

Working...
        X