Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medieval Christmas

Much enjoyed the first section of today’s initial programme in what looks like being a great series to listen to during the coming weeks, with the contributions of William Lyons (of The Dufay Collective et al.) particularly illuminating.

(I have to say though that I am deeply allergic to the Steeleye Span version of Gauuu-dayyy-taayyy which opened the episode )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Much enjoyed the first section of today’s initial programme in what looks like being a great series to listen to during the coming weeks, with the contributions of William Lyons (of The Dufay Collective et al.) particularly illuminating.

(I have to say though that I am deeply allergic to the Steeleye Span version of Gauuu-dayyy-taayyy which opened the episode )
    You may not be aware that it’s one of Alan Partridge’s favourites . In one episode he puts it on the CD player of his new Lexus - a shot which highlights his ultra - fashionable part string leather driving gloves. Needless to say Alan joins in with a lusty emphasis on the words Virg-In-Eh. Comic genius

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

You may not be aware that it’s one of Alan Partridge’s favourites . In one episode he puts it on the CD player of his new Lexus - a shot which highlights his ultra - fashionable part string leather driving gloves. Needless to say Alan joins in with a lusty emphasis on the words Virg-In-Eh. Comic genius
      I was! Unforgettable.

And it’s referenced in the programme!

Comment

I was! Unforgettable.

And it’s referenced in the programme!

Quite right it was referenced - a key moment in contemporary culture, I also dislike that version and left before it had finished so didn’t hear the back ref.

Comment

I must try to catch these programmes - in the spirit of Christmas. I must say Gaudate is one of my favourite carols.

I think Steeleye Span did a service to that particular carol, and in that same spirit I forgive you( both) for your venial sin of aversion. For your penance please read:

What is Gaudete Sunday? Learn why the Third Sunday of Advent is special

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

I must try to catch these programmes - in the spirit of Christmas. I must say Gaudate is one of my favourite carols.

I think Steeleye Span did a service to that particular carol, and in that same spirit I forgive you( both) for your venial sin of aversion. For your penance please read:

I think you might have to add refusal to repent - that’s a mortal one isn’t it ?
            Though out of politeness and interest I have performed the penance.

Comment

A lot of the strange assumptions folk musicians have imposed regarding pronunciation should be laid on Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger, who *in reality* could have had no more insight into how locals spoke at the time such tunes emerged into light than anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                A lot of the strange assumptions folk musicians have imposed regarding pronunciation should be laid on Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger, who *in reality* could have had no more insight into how locals spoke at the time such tunes emerged into light than anyone.
                I don’t have a problem with Steeleye’s pronunciation as we can only guess how medieval singers sang Medieval Latin. There even seems to be a debate when it was composed so it could have been before the Great vowel shift. The sort of cod wezzcountry accent might well be pretty accurate. Equally so could Partridges Northern one.
                oh looks like it’s Flemish …so who knows ?

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

I forgive you( both) for your venial sin of aversion. For your penance please read:

Duly read

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  I think you might have to add refusal to repent - that’s a mortal one isn’t it ?

We’re dooooomed, Heldo

Comment

Did you prefer the excellent I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue version? (~22:20 in)

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                      I look forward to that! (I’m up to episode 2 in the series so far )

Comment

I liked the comment that folk singers traditionally adopt the accent of the county which borders on Devon, Norfolk and the East Riding of Yorkshire. I'm one more who has to earnestly beseech pardon of the venerable Padraig.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Interesting that they also go for the cod mediaeval peasant accent favoured by Steeleye and Partridge. Clearly a cultural meme. Is there a medievalist who can tell us who would have sung this Carol and whether there was any real class based accent variation in Medieval England? My guess is monks and none other than the division between Norman French speakers and the rest .

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I liked the comment that folk singers traditionally adopt the accent of the county which borders on Devon, Norfolk and the East Riding of Yorkshire. I'm one more who has to earnestly beseech pardon of the venerable Padraig.
                            Aka Mummerzet?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

. I'm one more who has to earnestly beseech pardon of the venerable Padraig.
                              Granted, my child .

And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
                              The deeds of mercy

Comment

Working...
                              X