Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ennio Morricone (1928-2020)

Excellent, one of my favourite composers since my teens in the 70s. I emailed CotW when Morricone was 90 suggesting it would be a good time to make him the subject. I don't think he could speak English so it would have been difficult to interview him. I don't know anything much about his music other than his film music so I'm looking forward to hearing his non film music, some of which I think is quite avant-garde. He wrote a wonderfull score for a TV series called Moses staring Burt Lancaster. I hope to hear some of that and lots of other great film music that is rarely played but is just as good as the famous pieces.

Rich

A blurb for the week here, not short on adjectives.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for getting in first and saving me the time! Yes, while eager to hear some of the music EM composed for the concert hall, I'm one of those who happens to think that some film music deservies hearing in its own right as long as it avoids being cliché-ridden and can stand listening to independently of the film

Comment

Is anyone else trying to make the effort with Morricone, and finding him extremely hard going?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Is anyone else trying to make the effort with Morricone, and finding him extremely hard going?
          The music or the information about him?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

The music or the information about him?
            Mostly the music, I guess. I can think of a few other modern composers who divided their work between commercial and non-commercial - Richard Rodney Bennett and Malcolm Arnold coming immediately to mind. I don't find Morricone's music to be particularly good in either sphere, frankly. The more avant-garde stuff sounds weak placed beside that of his teacher Petrassi, and also the Italian contemporaries alongside whom, at Darmstadt, he learned about serialism and Cageian experimentalism, applying the former very mechanistically, evidently without feeling, and the latter in a cheapening pick-and-mix kind of way, like someone adumbrating a new religious doctrine out of bits and pieces divorced from this, that, and any other tradition. The last excerpt on today's programme, which seemed to be essaying a slow Mahler movement pastiche, is the first time I have ever heard a string orchestra made to sound like a synthesiser!

Comment

Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. Recording them, heard little bits. I'm not well aversed in avant-garde music so I won't have much to compare it with. I suppose it's difficult to merit in all fields. I'll try to listen to one tonight.

Comment

Excellent Composer of Week on Morricone. Most of the music stands alone from the film.And he composed orchestral and piano music aside from movies.
                "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Mostly the music, I guess. I can think of a few other modern composers who divided their work between commercial and non-commercial - Richard Rodney Bennett and Malcolm Arnold coming immediately to mind. I don't find Morricone's music to be particularly good in either sphere, frankly.
                  Agreed about his non-film output

I’m not qualified to judge on its technical prowess, but it seemed to me to lack anything engaging or memorable.

The comparison that suggested itself to me was Leonard Bernstein as a composer: I’ve always felt the same about his symphonies for instance, whereas in their different genres both Bernstein and Morricone achieved utmost memorability and individual character in their ‘showbiz’ (i.e. ‘commercial’) work
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think his music is quite interesting texturally - the use of unusual instruments and voices . There was a piece at the end of today’s programme which constantly inserted a minor key fragment into a standard major harmonic progression which I thought quite catchy harmonically.

Comment

His score to ‘Cinema Paradiso’, one of my very favourite movies used to accompany me on my Sony Walkman when I lived in Perthshire. Very evocative music.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        His score to ‘Cinema Paradiso’, one of my very favourite movies … Very evocative music.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          His score to ‘Cinema Paradiso’, one of my very favourite movies used to accompany me on my Sony Walkman when I lived in Perthshire. Very evocative music.

Right up there with 'Jean de Florette'/'Manon des Sources', two films that spring to mind immediately whenever I hear the overture from 'The Force of Destiny'.

Today's CotW has started with the theme from 'Cinema Paradiso' followed by 'Gabriel's Oboe'. What's not to like?
                          Last edited by LMcD; 15-03-24, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                          X