No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ravel

Delectable week so far...

Eternally grateful for introducing me to Angelique Kidjo's terrific Bolero!!

Ravel is a composer I've started to appreciate more and more as I've got older. Extremely well crafted music that absolutely reveals more as one investigates it.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Delectable week so far...

Eternally grateful for introducing me to Angelique Kidjo's terrific Bolero!!
      To me, sometimes, when an artist is in the process of assembling themself to become the well-known recognisable personality, they produce their most interesting work - as in the case of the early song "Un Grand sommeil noir" we heard on Monday, more a harbinger of early Messiaen than later Ravel. I'm niot sure I go for latter day reinterpretations on COTW, but one learns stuff one hadn't previously known about, such as the composer's reactions to "The Rite" and to Schoenberg, that's for sure.

Comment

Bolero? Yuk! the worst piece he composed! Especially if your in the orchestra, playing the tuba part! Apart from that, yes, Ravel a great composer. Favourite works, be quite hard to pin down, I think?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet played the Ravel Left Hand Piano Concerto in a concert broadcast on R3 on Wednesday. His encore was Ravel's Noctuelles from Miroirs - which, played with such delicacy, could almost be mistaken for Takemitsu.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Bolero? Yuk! the worst piece he composed! Especially if your in the orchestra, playing the tuba part! Apart from that, yes, Ravel a great composer. Favourite works, be quite hard to pin down, I think?
            Yep. totally agree, BUT the Angelique Kidjo version is entirely a cappella CHORAL.

Comment

"Daphnis", not covered this week, probably his finest, most polished, finished work, and a favourite for those prepared to take their notions of "modernism" thus far and no further, rather than seeing its innovations as pointers for younger composers like Milhaud and Honegger to take up, eventually influencing Ravel himself. In some ways the perfection Ravel achieved by that time (1911), already achieved in the piano sphere "Gaspard, 1908), was its own stylistic trap in terms of exquisite orchestral blendings and a harmonic language whose radicality had been largely based on suspended augmented triads, and we can already hear him seeking to break through the limitations in the subsequent add-ons to the "Mother Goose" suite by empirical means.

Comment

I heard one of these programmes in the car, and the one thing that really annoys me inn any of these programmes(apart from when he has a guest), is that he relies so heavily on his scripts. There hardly seems any improvisatory kind of chat?
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Ravel is a composer I've started to appreciate more and more as I've got older. Extremely well crafted music that absolutely reveals more as one investigates it.
                  Completely agree, except the appreciation started when I was 20 or so!

A timely thread, in that I've spent most of the last 2 hours in his house. Very very moving and utterly fascinating...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh - I'd got myself in a time warp and had thought you were going there next Friday! Great photos - and I trust you're not writing this from une cellule de local nick?
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-02-17, 18:31.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Oh - I'd got myself in a time warp and had thought you were going there next Friday! Great photos - and I trust you're not writing this from une cellule de local nick?
                      Merde, pressed 'Edit' instead of 'Reply', sorry!

No, all is well!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I have the three-piano version of Daphnis(I think suite No.2), most excellently play by Martha Argerich & Friends from one of those magnificent Lugano box sets!!
                        Last edited by BBMmk2; 18-02-17, 08:05.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

...and I thought I was the only Bolerophobe on these boards. Favourite works - yes loads but surely Daphnis and Mother Goose ride high in Orchestral works and Sonatine for piano, then Intro & Allegro and the String Quartet are lovely chamber works, then vocally Scheherazade and the how do they do it with one hand PC for LH! As the late Peter Sarstedt said ... Loveliness goes on and on....

Comment

Don't forget this wonderful 24/96 set, which I revelled in last spring (this music seems especially apt to the freshest, songfullest, season of life and hope), listening to nothing else (apart from Mozart Piano Concertos with Cristofori)) for weeks. For me it really is, at last, a worthy modern successor to the various legends of Cluytens, Reiner and perhaps especially Paray. Lionel Bringuier shapes the music so sensuously and individually, with many fresh interpretative ideas. The Zurich Tonhalle-Romande seem devoted to him, bar-to-bar in the sensitivity of their response.

Listen to unlimited or download Ravel: Complete Orchestral Works by Yuja Wang in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

I'm dreaming of.... some Roussel, or Honegger, or Dutilleux, from them.
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-02-17, 21:21.

Comment

Caught the unspeakably dreadful and dreary Immerseel Bolero much the worst performance of it I have ever heard .

No wonder I could not abide his Symphonie fantastique he drains all passion out of anything .

Comment

Working...
                              X