Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn’s Keyboard Sonatas: 17-21 July

Donald Macleod introduces a week focusing of Haydn's often overlooked - yet utterly beguiling - piano sonatas, which span virtually his entire composing life.
    [...]
    Haydn wrote more than sixty keyboard sonatas, spanning a remarkable half-century in music history. This period saw harpsichords and clavichords replaced by the forerunners of the modern piano, and - more than that - keyboard music go from the light dance suites to the sonata: a form that would shortly be taken by Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert into the very highest pinnacle of musical art
    […]

A very promising sounding CoW.

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    A very promising sounding CoW.

Haydn's Music for solo keyboard is a repertoire I've wanted for some time to get to know "better" (ie, in many cases, "at all") but have never got round to do so. I'm looking forward to next week's programmes providing the necessary "diving board".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Haydn's Music for solo keyboard is a repertoire I've wanted for some time to get to know "better" (ie, in many cases, "at all") but have never got round to do so....
      ... if you haven't already got it, you need this :

and

and

Me, I'm off to the Ariège next week for a longish break so will miss this, pity. But it's great music - both to play and to listen to. I think Haydn's solo keyboard music quite a lot more interesting than Mozart's.

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-07-17, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://amzn.eu/1gPIvFA .
        not forgetting this:

My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

http://amzn.eu/1gPIvFA
          I haven't, and I do! Fifty quid new? Well - I believe that there's a Christmas this year, so ...

Meanwhile, I hope that you have a singularly enjoyable break in the Pyrenees, vinty.

Comment

Aren't the John McCabe recordings well thought of?

Haydn: Complete Piano Sonatas. Decca: 4437852. Buy download online. John McCabe (piano)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4437852
              They certainly are, if you fancy the complete Sonatas played on a modern piano (which many people do, of course).

Comment

They certainly are, if you fancy the complete Sonatas played on a modern piano (which many people do, of course).
                Ah, should have engaged brain before wondering!

Comment

... I think he's a bit heavy-handed. If you want a modern-keyboard set, I think I wd prefer -

But if you don't need the Complete Works - then Hamelin - and indeed Brendel - are really interesting on the modern piano.

Comment

Originally posted by pulcie
                    Ah, should have engaged brain before wondering!
                    - and in the McCabe box, you also get the keyboard Seven Last Words, missing from the CAPRICCIO box. I've only heard extracts from the set - they were initially released in boxed sets of three LPs and my school had one of the volumes (I think that one of the sonatas - not otherwise available as a recording - was an "O"-level set work one year). So, we're talking about forty years and more ago - and I can't recall very much, except that I enjoyed the sound of them at the time. (In fact, it was probably then that I decided that I must get to hear more of them someday )

Mind you - that Buchbinder set is attractively inexpensive!

Comment

... I think he's a bit heavy-handed. If you want a modern-keyboard set, I think I wd prefer -

Agreed - I was given this set last Christmas and it has given me a lot of pleasure. Buchbinder is underrated in this country at least.

Comment

Alas, not by me. I find McCabe's interpretation too pedestrian and heavygoing. However, it's a complete set.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

... the keyboard Seven Last Words, missing from the CAPRICCIO box. !
                          If y're looking for a keyboard version of The Seven Last Words you shd certainly consider -

Comment

What? No votes for Brautigam's survey of the complete solo keyboard works?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              What? No votes for Brautigam's survey of the complete solo keyboard works?
                              Oooh, yes! And quite a bit cheaper than the CAPRICCIO box, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X