Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry Purcell: 27 - 31/8/18

Donald Macleod explores the music Purcell composed for all the monarchs he served.

I was only thinking about Purcell's music, during this last weekend! How strange!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      Donald Macleod explores the music Purcell composed for all the monarchs he served.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...casts/upcoming
      Wonderful music! I remember hearing O Come Ye Sons of Art for the first time - a dear friend, who sadly departed this world aged a mere 38, in '78, who hosted then-popular be-ins at his flat and got me into Purcell, Monteverdi and Telemann. I introduced him to Stockhausen and other leading lights of the then-avant garde.

Comment

A great CotW so far. Just love his viol music..an In Nomine heard today...but the Fantasias are wonderful. I didn't know that after his voice broke he was kept on at the Chapel Royal as a tuner of keyboard instruments.

Comment

... excellent - well, it's Purcell, innit.

But I wish our Donald had got it right for Z340 yesterday - it's "Welcome, vicegerent of the mighty King... " not "...viceregent".

It's a common mistake, and a good example of the merits of lectio difficilior * in literary studies - you're more likely to 'correct' (wrongly) to a more common word than to an uncommon word. But we still love our Donald. And more importantly, Purcell...

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_difficilior_potior

Last edited by vinteuil; 19-09-17, 16:27.

Comment

This might be tantamount to treason but I do wonder how much praise should be levelled at DM's door (Donald Macleod, not Doc Marten for Underthecountertenor's benefit - if he's reading) rather than his team of able researchers.

I realise DM is a national treasure, but I find I grind my teeth more and more at the by now customary drop in the voice, the little quiver, as the COTW's life inevitably draws to a close (bound to be shed loads of pathos at Purcell's early demise); or the confessional "if like me, you knew nothing about the music of x (x= 20th century avant garde composer)..."

Comment

A splendid end of this most enjoyable Composer of the Week; Dido’s Lament sung, I thought, by Catherine Bott but the schedule page says Julianne Baird (announced as by Catherine Bott).

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                This might be tantamount to treason but I do wonder how much praise should be levelled at DM's door (Donald Macleod, not Doc Marten for Underthecountertenor's benefit - if he's reading)
                Funny you should mention that. I am told that I bear a striking resemblance to Martin Clunes.

I'm surprised, incidentally, that no-one has mentioned the c-bomb that was dropped at about 12.25 pm on Radio 3 on Thursday. And it had nothing to do with the Health Secretary.

Comment

Henry Purcell: 27-31 August

Donald Macleod explores the music of English composer Henry Purcell who served in the royal courts of Charles II, James II and the joint reign of William and Mary.
                  […]

(R)

Comment

Possibly not including this, heard on Wednesday's Late Junction.....

Henry Purcell
                    Hear My Prayer

Singer: Jonathan Hering.
                    CARMINA CHROMATICO. BRAWL RECORDS.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                      Donald Macleod explores the music of English composer Henry Purcell who served in the royal courts of Charles II, James II and the joint reign of William and Mary.
                      […]

(R)
                      'Tis a repeat - and from less than a year ago! (Threads duly merged.)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

a mid-week bumping up.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          'Tis a repeat - and from less than a year ago! (Threads duly merged.)
                          And Purcell's third COTW in not so many years, I think. Undoubtedly to be cherished, but there are so many never get a look in.

Comment

I agree. It will be good to hear, for example, the programme on the composers in the 16th and the early 17th century as a group. All the same, it was very good to hear Catherine Bott singing Dido.
                            A look at how Henry Purcell was influenced by music and musicians from all over Europe.

Comment

Working...
                            X