Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Romanovs were just a few of the tens of millions that were killed between their own repressive regime and the horror that followed. While all deaths are equally regrettable, I can't see getting more worked up about their fate than those of mere commoners

Comment

Indeed, the many thousands who lost their lives because of the Revolution.. It was so cruel on all sides.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Well, I haven't but I will take up on your recommendation. I know nothing but the etching of the map produces various thoughts. First, I bet they wont do the Tcherepnins which would be a predictable outrage. Nor Gliere, of whom I am fond given that he is world or at least ethnic music and Lourie who I like and I think Bryn likes Lourie too? I would expect them to do Ustyvolyskya. If not, why not? There are some who I like but I would not expect to be featured - Boris Tchaikovsky, Gretchanikov etc. Conus is a family - I thought I liked them more than I do. Denisov is quite interesting. The very dominant Glazunov - it easily fits into his time. It's at the end of Liadov. Lyapanov and Taneyev all who require to varying degrees revisiting. This is beyond the obvious inclusions. Of the bigwigs, I could see myself going large on Khachaturian against what I sense is general indifference but I haven't built up enough knowledge yet. It's a feeling. And I'm vaguely aware that in heavy classical music opinion, it is Russia v Germany with Germany winning out. I've got to get to grips with this one. Clearly the time references are different - but my instinct says Russia but mostly neither. I'm a sort of Anglo-American Mediterranean but you knew that - new romantic!
        All those composers really deserve a CotW of their own Lat,some have in the past to be fair.
        Ustyvolyskya featured briefly today,3 piano preludes.
        The thread title needs changing really to include this week's programmes ,if any bosses are looking in.
        I'd love to hear Professor Marina Frolova-Walker do a BAL/interpretations on record on DSCH 11 (finale today)

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          The thread title needs changing really to include this week's programmes
          Dunno what you're talkin' 'bout, Edgey.

if any bosses are looking in.
          "Bosses"?! They went home hours ago - I'm just waiting for everyone to leave for the night before I check all the lights are off and lock up. (Given the nature of the Thread, it might not be safe to admit to being one of the bosses.)

I'd love to hear Professor Marina Frolova-Walker do a BAL/interpretations on record on DSCH 11 (finale today)
          I'd've loved to have seen a three-four-part TV series presented by her on Russian Music in the Soviet Era. With her and Gerard McBurney we do have excellent authorities on this topic available.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Dunno what you're talkin' 'bout, Edgey.

"Bosses"?! They went home hours ago - I'm just waiting for everyone to leave for the night before I check all the lights are off and lock up. (Given the nature of the Thread, it might not be safe to admit to being one of the bosses.)

I'd've loved to have seen a three-four-part TV series presented by her on Russian Music in the Soviet Era. With her and Gerard McBurney we do have excellent authorities on this topic available.

Brilliant,thanks ferney

Comment

Greatly enjoying these COTW programmes,anyone else been listening
              Indeed I have. Monday alone was a treat. The Bunin viola concerto was quite a find for me. Marina's insight is also much appreciated. Next few programmes are stacking up for intense concentration.

Somebody on the forum made the point during the Proms 2017 that commemorations of the revolution seemed to centre on Shostakovich, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, oh and Shostakovich again. Well, just listening to COTW there is evidently quite a lot more that could have been included. Je reste ma valise

Not sure I'd want to 'celebrate' the revolution either, but it happened. It was indeed an epoch changing event and artistically it generated a wealth of great music. There's probably a whole lot more we haven't yet heard.
              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

All those composers really deserve a CotW of their own Lat,some have in the past......etc
                Yes indeed - thank you for this Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Would it be feasible to keep this thread going for next week's COTW, dealing with the post-Zhdanov period of Soviet music, about which I for one know far too little, apart from in the area of jazz, maybe? Last night I caught the second piano concerto of Rodion Shchedrin of 1964 on TTN, a marvellous work which, listened to "blind", I had assumed to be early Henze, and just now found this interview on the composer's website, from 3 years ago:

http://www.shchedrin.de/index.php?id=28
                  There was a feature on RS in this months Gramophone.
                  Just having a listen to ( possibly) the only work I have on CD, Music for the City of Cothen.
                  the Piano Concertos do seem well thought of, so I might have a nibble at those.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                  X