Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CotW Bernstein 100

"There are no neutrals when it comes to Leonard Bernstein: exhibitionist, a playboy touring Italy in a Maserati, an exhilarating conductor, provocative thinker, ‘one of the most electrifying personalities of our time’. 2018 marks the centenary of this life-affirming composer who always preferred to call himself, simply, ‘musician’.

This week Donald Macleod is joined by Bernstein protegée, the conductor Marin Alsop, to look back at Bernstein’s hectic life as composer, pianist, thinker and entertainer. And, thanks to the BBC radio and TV archives, we hear from the man himself in interviews he gave through the course of his prolific career. We discover a man who was forceful in his views, passionate to the extreme, charismatic on the stage, but also latterly tormented by regrets and a feeling that he had never quite achieved the magnum opus inside him
    ."
    Last edited by french frank; 26-08-18, 21:51. Reason: Added quotes as this is R3 blurb not mine
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

One of the most wonderful aspects of this year's Proms is inspiring me to actually listen to Bernstein's own orchestral music after so many years... result is that I now adore the Symphonies 1 & (especially) 2 - the latter has one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful beginnings of any 20thC Piano Concerto....do listen to it in Prom 60, and the Serenade in Prom 69, which I've just begun listening to but already feel very fond of... although immediately attractive, I've found that they do take some getting-to-know!

A few nights ago/early mornings (I'm never quite sure of the difference these days) I discovered (on Qobuz HiFi) the new release of the Symphony No.2 with Zimerman/Berlin Phil/Rattle... oh, it's poor value as a CD/download purchase yes, but the performance! Utterly wonderful, the subtlest and most beautiful I've heard yet, even alongside the more "operatic" Rana/Pappano.

I'd just heard the 1950 Foss/Bernstein (and still thought I'd never love anything more than the later Entremont/Bernstein)... I was about to return to bed, but scanning Qobuz Discover blear-eyed, I stumbled upon this new one, and the cat-on-me rule persuaded me to go one further. Thanks, Mizzy!
    Anyone who loves Bernstein or the Symphonies in particular, needs to hear this any which way!

Oh and, check out Gramophone 8/18, for David Gutman's excellent ​Collection survey on the gorgeous Serenade...you see, I'd heard these works before, but never realised till now, just how wonderful they are...

Comment

Anyway, on another thread called "...Bernstein..." (we can't have too many about this wonderful man) I'm very moved to note that the BBC4 Films were - wonderful!

The Humphrey Burton documentary was packed with terrific rehearsal and interview clips, most of which I'd never seen before - quite rivetting.
      The West Side Story making-of film was again, fascinating and very moving, with archive clips, photos, and stunning present-day rehearsal sequences from young performers (I had a few tears here...o vanished days of youth, o scattered love...as Mahler put it)**.
      And the significance of the tritone in West Side Story - I never knew that, quite revelatory, as were Jamie Bernstein's comments about "Somewhere", how those double-basses keep undermining the optimistic fantasy, yet never quite killing it....

Don't miss them!

It came at just the right time for me, as I fall in love with the Bernstein concert works...

(**Does anyone know who was singing Tony in these sequences? He gave "Maria" the performance of its life...

Comment

By 'this week' I take it you mean last Monday to Friday - the new (this week's?) composer of the week is Purcell.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          By 'this week' I take it you mean last Monday to Friday - the new (this week's?) composer of the week is Purcell.
          I think it was Tuesday-Friday because EIF or something was on the Monday.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Leonard Bernstein’s Music I ways lucky enough to like straight away. One work that struck me above all others, JLW, is his Arias & Barcarolles. Strongly recommend this work and also Dybuk.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I would really recommend the COTW on Bernstein. As I said on the other Bernstein trail thread - stretching the rules of thread hospitality to the limit - it benefited greatly from Marin Alsop's contribution . She was present at the famous West Side Story recording where the great man was in a spectacularly grumpy mood. As others have said it is a shame that he didn't compose more and conduct less . His compositions are , I think , outliving his recorded legacy - excellent though that was.

Comment

Working...
              X