• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claude Debussy: Friday 16 August

Enjoyed doesn’t sound quite right but I did enjoy this very much,

Cello Sonata
    Mstislav Rostropovich, cello; Benjamin Britten, piano
    Donald Macleod looks at Debussy's final years, and a late burst of creativity in 1915.

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post

Cello Sonata
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09w2lqz
    Watch out, these boys will probably go far!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Watch out, these boys will probably go far!
      So they did!

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post

Cello Sonata
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09w2lqz
        I first got that recording on a 10 inch LP (purchased for the Britten). It was my introduction to the Debussy work, which now takes precedence in my affections, over the Britten.

Comment

The DG Originals CD is a classic - also with Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata in A minor and Schumann's Stücke im Volkston. Joan Chissell in Gramophone on the first CD issue: "the range of colour drawn by Britten from the keyboard, in response to Rostropovich's own, has to be heard to be believed. Their spontaneously attuned rubato throughout, as well as their rhythmic vitality in the finale, are further sources of delight ... . As all three works come up as good as new, perhaps even better, on CD, this disc can confidently be hailed as a collector's piece, likely to survive in the gramophone archives for all time."

Comment

A piece I seem not to have been aware of () despite it appearing on a fairly recent BBC MM CD (David Finckel, cello; Wu Han, piano), coupled with works by JSB, Mendelssohn, and Britten.
            Now remedied, and I'll certainly listen to it again.

Comment

Debussy's return to the fold, this time with the emphasis maybe as much on the "he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" as one of the godfathers of modern music. The changed time probably means most will be off doing something else.

The "achille's heel"

Comment

Oddly enough, I listen more now to 'Composer of the Week ', or the first ten minutes anyway, now, as it's on when I'm having my dinner , whereas I was always doing something else at 12 noon, and I don't like the'biog-chat-and snippets' style of the programme . I've noticed he's started talking over the music now, or has he always done that? I wondered if it was one of Sam Jackson's dumbing-down prescriptions (which, of course, he denies). .

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  Oddly enough, I listen more now to 'Composer of the Week ', or the first ten minutes anyway, now, as it's on when I'm having my dinner , whereas I was always doing something else at 12 noon, and I don't like the'biog-chat-and snippets' style of the programme . I've noticed he's started talking over the music now, or has he always done that? I wondered if it was one of Sam Jackson's dumbing-down prescriptions (which, of course, he denies). .
                  I had thought Donald was stepping down as COTW presenter. I wonder, has he been recalled?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I had thought Donald was stepping down as COTW presenter. I wonder, has he been recalled?
                    It was my understanding that he would share presenting duties with Kate Molleson.

Comment

Working...
                    X