No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827)

Beethoven Unleashed

Donald Macleod explores the life and work of Beethoven in 26 fortnightly programmes.
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 01-06-20, 08:52.

This is what I like so much about the BBC - it's thoughtful, balanced approach and judicious lack of hyperbole.

Comment

This looks to be a terrific treat. Who better than Donald Macleod to lead such a quest?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        This looks to be a terrific treat. Who better than Donald Macleod to lead such a quest?
        John Suchet?

Comment

John Suchet?
          I expect he'll make an appearance!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            I expect he'll make an appearance!
            If his CFM contract lets him.

Comment

This is what I like so much about the BBC - it's thoughtful, balanced approach and judicious lack of hyperbole.

I've never liked these saturation projects. A Bach weekend is one thing. A Beethoven year is quite another. As CotW is partly biograpphical, it makes me wonder how detailed Donald is going to get given that 125 episodes [really?] have to be filled. (Wig disposal, bathroom visits, ear-trumpet de-waxing?)

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

As CotW is partly biograpphical, it makes me wonder how detailed Donald is going to get given that 125 episodes [really?] have to be filled. (Wig disposal, bathroom visits, ear-trumpet de-waxing?)

Comment

:biggr

I've never liked these saturation projects. A Bach weekend is one thing. A Beethoven year is quite another. As CotW is partly biograpphical, it makes me wonder how detailed Donald is going to get given that 125 episodes [really?] have to be filled. (Wig disposal, bathroom visits, ear-trumpet de-waxing?)
                  Since the complete oeuvre might take only around 100 hours to broadcast. That would leave around 12 minutes per episode for talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Since the complete oeuvre might take only around 100 hours to broadcast. That would leave around 12 minutes per episode for talk.
                    Does that include the numerous Werke Ohne Opusnummer?

Comment

....As CotW is partly biograpphical, it makes me wonder how detailed Donald is going to get given that 125 episodes [really?] have to be filled. (Wig disposal, bathroom visits, ear-trumpet de-waxing?)
                      It could be done in silence on television with all material presented in writing in small notebooks with close-up camera work

Comment

I've never liked these saturation projects. A Bach weekend is one thing. A Beethoven year is quite another....
                        I believe that the growth in demand for podcasts - hence the introduction of ZOUNDZ! - indicates both a demand for music and for musical information. COTW is an ideal educational medium. And everyone's heard of Beethoven!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          Does that include the numerous Werke Ohne Opusnummer?
                          Yup - the Warner "Complete Beethoven" boxed set takes 80CDs, each around the 70 min duration mark.

I've said elsewhere that I think there is a huge difference between the "-athons" of the Wright era, in which everything a composer wrote was broadcast non-stop* back-to-back for a week or more, and this year-long celebration of hour-long programmes, broadcast every other week, and with other Music between each programme.

If it is done properly (big "if", I know) it seems to me to be an entirely appropriate way for R3 to celebrate the work of one of humanity's greatest thinkers.

* - (with pauses for introductory comments by the presenters, and trailers for the programmes you were already listening to)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

One pleasant discovery for me (found in a street market stall here in France) was a big box of the Scottish, Irish and Welsh folksongs recorded for the DG anniversary series some years ago with Malcolm Martineau as the pianist. Delightful.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              One pleasant discovery for me (found in a street market stall here in France) was a big box of the Scottish, Irish and Welsh folksongs recorded for the DG anniversary series some years ago with Malcolm Martineau as the pianist. Delightful.
                              - one of the great discoveries for me in the Warner "Big Box". I couldn't cope with a whole CD in one sitting, but with the contents spread over three 25-minute hearings, they're glorious. I'd love to hear some of these included in recitals - the arrangements with Piano Trio would ideal for a Lunchtime Concert.

(The performances of the orchestral Contredanses in that box are less successful - but give an idea that there is much more to be enjoyed from these pieces. I'd love to hear the Freiburg Baroquers doing their stuff with these works!)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X