Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emilie Mayer (1812-1883)

This looks fascinating. In the trail, even Donald Macleod says that, in twenty years of presenting COTW, he had never heard of her. Katy Hamilton will be a treat too IMV.

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    This looks fascinating. In the trail, even Donald Macleod says that, in twenty years of presenting COTW, he had never heard of her. Katy Hamilton will be a treat too IMV.
    Quite a varied selection of works on YouTube ("Emilie Mayer" Youtube). String quartet, symphonies, a piano concerto …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Quite a varied selection of works on YouTube ("Emilie Mayer" Youtube). String quartet, symphonies, a piano concerto …
      Indeed, I've been listening to the 7th symphony, it's an incredibly accomplished work, very happy to listen to it over again, not always the case with many other lesser well know composers.

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Interesting to see/read about this. There is an open score writing group which has produced at least one quartet score by Emilie Mayer, and there is interest in hearing new performances of her works.

Comment

Plenty of discussions about her on the Unsung Composers forum!
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

....pardon my intrusion....while Wikying Emilie I researched Szczecin in Poland (then Stettin in Germany) near where she was born....a lot of cultural money being spent there recently [which possibly would not get spent here UK]....Netto Arena [for events], Szczecin Philharmonic, a Museum the Dialogue Centre, and a new Football stadium....Just a banal entering....
              bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Interesting to see/read about this.

Anyone know why the Tuesday and Wednesday episodes are unavailable on “Sounds”?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Anyone know why the Tuesday and Wednesday episodes are unavailable on “Sounds”?
                  Now resolved - all available

Comment

Working...
                  X