Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errollyn Wallen (b. 1959)

A chance to assess the Belize-born composer.

Donald Macleod chats to Errollyn Wallen about her heritage and musical upbringing.

This is being repeated this week, if anyone here is interested?

Comment

COTW interviews can be fascinating in terms of how much they engaged with the subject, this one being no exception. It is noticeable that Macleod's questions elicit the kinds of responses that somehow seem to discourage further elaboration. Personally and as composer Errollyn comes across as circumspect and somewhat enigmatic, and I for one find this reflected in her music. She engages more, I think, in the following interview, presumably conducted by an associate where she teaches, and one wonders if in that setting she felt more comfortable in opening up about herself:

The British Music Collection and Sound and Music present Kreutzer Quartet violist and researcher Clifton Harrison curating a series of filmed interviews with...

Comment

I was too precipitant. Thursday's programme turned out to be more revealing in talking about her songs and the importance of live performance: at the piano Errollyn is some virtuoso, as we heard from her performing demanding pieces of her own, along with her engaging songs. Today's final excerpt rounded off the survey of her broad scope of activity, leaving one feeling it to have been a sympathetically deserved representation of a considerable talent achieving timely success against downplayed odds, understandably in hope that her example will encourage others of like background.

Comment

Only heard the first one: you have encouraged me to listen to the others, thank you.

Comment

I heard bits of these programmes this week and found what I heard to be very interesting. Must try to listen to more of her output.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              I heard bits of these programmes this week and found what I heard to be very interesting. Must try to listen to more of her output.
              I was very taken with the range and quality of her output. At times I found it difficult to believe that two pieces were by the same person such was her command of different genres . Clearly a talent. A bit in the Richard Rodney Bennet mode …

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I was very taken with the range and quality of her output. At times I found it difficult to believe that two pieces were by the same person such was her command of different genres . Clearly a talent. A bit in the Richard Rodney Bennett mode …
                The closest predecessor occurring to me is Michael Tippett; one of the questions McLeod might have asked (but didn't) was, did Errollyn think of herself as part of any British composer lineage. Given the persisting influences from that tradition on British jazz right up to the present, I don't think that would be considered an outdated question.

Comment

Working...
                X