Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One hit wonders

Well, not quite, but a nice idea for a week of Composers who are mainly known for one work.

Pachelbel (of 'Canon' fame) is on Monday, and I think Allegri, Humperdinck, and Orff will fill feature during the week.

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    but a nice idea for a week of Composers who are mainly known for one work.
    But why bother to take up time in the broadcasts with those very works, which by definition are going to be extremely familiar to pretty much everyone who'll be listening???

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      But why bother to take up time in the broadcasts with those very works, which by definition are going to be extremely familiar to pretty much everyone who'll be listening???
      (a) isn't it a repeat
      (b) it's a holiday week - therefore familiar works are the rule

Comment

It doesn’t seem to be a repeat. And a full playlist for the week is available through the link that ardcarp has provided in the OP. Yes, there will be the “one hits” or bits of them, but - presumably this is the point of the programmes - also works by these composers that are seldom heard or performed. The incessantly repeated trail for the programmes over the weekend put me off, but looking at the playlists has made me want to hear pieces that are new to me.

Comment

but - presumably this is the point of the programmes - also works by these composers that are seldom heard or performed
          Exactly. I should perhaps have been more clear in my OP.

Comment

I get that the point of the programmes is to introduce listeners to music other than the "one hit", but nevertheless those familiar works are included, which is what I was wondering about.

Comment

I get that the point of the programmes is to introduce listeners to music other than the "one hit", but nevertheless those familiar works are included, which is what I was wondering about.
              Two reasons perhaps. Firstly, an assumption that "everyone knows" doesn't play well to inclusivity/non elitist agenda. Secondly, and perhaps more useful, is to have a reminder, at the time, of the difference between the well known one and other works that appear in the programme, to support whatever information is supplied by D McD?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Two reasons perhaps. Firstly, an assumption that "everyone knows" doesn't play well to inclusivity/non elitist agenda. Secondly, and perhaps more useful, is to have a reminder, at the time, of the difference between the well known one and other works that appear in the programme, to support whatever information is supplied by D McD?
                You got it in one hit, oddoneout!

Comment

Two reasons perhaps. Firstly, an assumption that "everyone knows" doesn't play well to inclusivity/non elitist agenda.
                  I suppose it's possible that there are people listening to Radio 3 who don't know Pachelbel's Canon - maybe recent arrivals from alien planets studying Earthling culture.

Having said that, the Canon actually survived only in a single manuscript made in the 19th century, and as far as I'm aware its unison canon structure occurs nowhere else in Pachelbel's work, so it might be someone else's work anyway!

Comment

I suppose it's possible that there are people listening to Radio 3 who don't know Pachelbel's Canon - maybe recent arrivals from alien planets studying Earthling culture.

Having said that, the Canon actually survived only in a single manuscript made in the 19th century, and as far as I'm aware its unison canon structure occurs nowhere else in Pachelbel's work, so it might be someone else's work anyway!
                    Shades of BWV 565, eh?

Comment

At last!! I've asked a few times to hear more Dukas, and once Martin Handley actually read my email out and played another piece of his, but that was it. They are only one-hit-wonders because only one of their pieces are ever played. If they played more of their pieces perhaps they wouldn't be one-hit-wonders, after all, it's not like doing a live concert where you need the popular pieces in order to get the audience numbers. What does it cost R3 to once in a while, instead of always playing The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas, play another of his pieces?

Anyway, I congratulate CotW on doing this. Well done ..... BUT ..... what will happen afterwards? Will it go back to always playing the one piece? Will anything change?

Rich

Comment

From Wednesday's programme listing:

"Albinoni (compl. Giazotto): Adagio in G minor"

Really? I thought the dominant opinion of musicologists was that it was Giazotto from start to finish and the supposed fragment by Albinoni was also a Giazotto invention.

Comment

We don't know who might be listening - it's just possible they might include those who have yet to acquire your encyclopedic knowledge. It might also include those who recognise the tune but can't (for whatever reason) put a name to it or, conversely recognise the name/title but can't put a tune to it. In both cases summoning the memory of the piece rather than hearing it then and there as a prompt is of little or no use.

Comment

Originally posted by NatBalance View Post
                            At last!! I've asked a few times to hear more Dukas, and once Martin Handley actually read my email out and played another piece of his, but that was it. They are only one-hit-wonders because only one of their pieces are ever played. If they played more of their pieces perhaps they wouldn't be one-hit-wonders, after all, it's not like doing a live concert where you need the popular pieces in order to get the audience numbers. What does it cost R3 to once in a while, instead of always playing The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas, play another of his pieces?

Anyway, I congratulate CotW on doing this. Well done ..... BUT ..... what will happen afterwards? Will it go back to always playing the one piece? Will anything change?

Rich
                            There are occasions when it seems that listener power may prevail. In the morning schedules reference is made to the favourable reception to an unfamiliar/unknown composer or work and further airings and/or associated works will follow. The more frequent appearances of music by the likes of non-white, non-male composers hasn't been totally due to the tick box exercise at head office in my view. So perhaps a bit of positive feedback might find a positive reception?

Comment

We don't know who might be listening - it's just possible they might include those who have yet to acquire your encyclopedic knowledge.
                              It might also be the case that R3/Breakfast wants an audience (defined by the characteristics which they have in common) that welcomes 'another chance to hear' a familiar piece. Classic FM's popularity largely depends on it.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X