Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hélène de Montgeroult (1764-1836)

The most enjoyable COTW’s are sometimes those where the life concerned was exceptionally exciting in some respect. This life made compelling listening: an inspirational riches to rags and back to intellectual riches story lived during the background of the Reign of Terror, a period of the French Revolution following the creation of the First Republic characterised by a series of massacres and numerous public executions taking place in response to revolutionary fervour, anticlerical sentiment, and accusations of treason by the Committee of Public Safety. That de Montgeroult managed to write and leave such an accomplished legacy of work including 9 sonatas, 114 etudes and ‘Cours Complet’ of pianistic technique, under such dire conditions is truly remarkable. Pianist Claire Hammond was in conversation with DM about her current project to record the Études for a CD for BIS due for release later this year. Certainly something to look forward to as this is a genre that Claire excels in I was fortunate to see her in York recently, braving some of the most uncomfortable seating in a public auditorium I'd ever had

Highly recommended
    And the tune ends too soon for us all

I liked what I heard and wondered why she was entirely new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      I liked what I heard and wondered why she was entirely new to me.
      I was just checking that. Apart from a single outing in 2017, there have been almost 50 pieces (incl this CotW) all in the last couple of years. A new discovery for R3, clearly, making a change from the regular outings for Barbara Strozzi (500), Louise Farrenc (384) et al during the same 16 years.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
      X