Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, Kate had more or less won me round on ‘Breakfast’ but COTW might be a step too far. It’s that gushy tendency to state her love for music and performance which I don’t require from a presenter.

Btw, did anyone read her book?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      The very idea is enough to give me nightmares.

Comment

I too deplore the 'gushy tendency' which I noticed creeping in in the Roger Wright years and which is true of several others too, not just KM. I think it was an attempt to bridge the gap between the announcer and the viewer by incresaed informality. The old style of keeping to the facts and not expressing personal views was seen as 'stiff-shirt'. But like 'received pronunciation' (which is not irrelevant to Kate Molleson) it had a useful purpose.: it emphasised what broacasting was supposed to be about.

If announcers, or news readers, were free to speak their own opinions they might be disparaging the artists or music the BBC had paid for. So they were told to make it sound as if they were giving their own views, as long as they were complimentary. And that's about as useful as Henry VIII inviting you to 'speak freely'. It's not likely you would. I'm sure many of us have worked for organisations where the management say 'we want your views (but only if they're the ones we want to hear)'. I suspect there's a lot of this at the BBC.

I don't blame KM for her manner; I blame those who led her to believe that it's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I too deplore the 'gushy tendency' which I noticed creeping in in the Roger Wright years and which is true of several others too, not just KM. I think it was an attempt to bridge the gap between the announcer and the viewer by incresaed informality. The old style of keeping to the facts and not expressing personal views was seen as 'stiff-shirt'. But like 'received pronunciation' (which is not irrelevant to Kate Molleson) it had a useful purpose.: it emphasised what broacasting was supposed to be about.

If announcers, or news readers, were free to speak their own opinions they might be disparaging the artists or music the BBC had paid for. So they were told to make it sound as if they were giving their own views, as long as they were complimentary. And that's about as useful as Henry VIII inviting you to 'speak freely'. It's not likely you would. I'm sure many of us have worked for organisations where the management say 'we want your views (but only if they're the ones we want to hear)'. I suspect there's a lot of this at the BBC.

I don't blame KM for her manner; I blame those who led her to believe that it's a good thing.
          It would be an unusual form of broadcasting where a presenter , who is at least partly responsible for selecting the tracks in their show , then criticises them .I think John Peel used to do a bit of that but in the candy floss Media world we currently inhabit it doesn’t seem to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            It would be an unusual form of broadcasting where a presenter , who is at least partly responsible for selecting the tracks in their show , then criticises them .I think John Peel used to do a bit of that but in the candy floss Media world we currently inhabit it doesn’t seem to fit.
            I think it would, in those circumstances, be acceptable to explain why a piece was chosen - avoiding the pitfalls of 'because I really like it this wonderful work', 'because I think this is a wonderful performance'. A quick (skilful) sketch is needed if the piece will last no more than 10 minutes (abs. max!!!)
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oh dear, Kate had more or less won me round on ‘Breakfast’ but COTW might be a step too far. It’s that gushy tendency to state her love for music and performance which I don’t require from a presenter.

We will just have to hope that released from the need to be a crowd pleaser and chum on the morning schedule she might find her inner gravitas.

Comment

I will be interested to see whether Kate's notable feminist tendencies and interest in diversity have any impact on selection of subjects (not that DM is any slouch there). I assume Kaija Saariaho is on the cards.

Comment

I’ve been enjoying the Ligeti episodes and in particular the contribution of Danny Driver. He appears to have been playing some excerpts of the Etudes from a cold start - how he manages to do that is completely beyond me. His comments also strike me as very well informed. He’s also an excellent broadcaster - very articulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    I’ve been enjoying the Ligeti episodes and in particular the contribution of Danny Driver. He appears to have been playing some excerpts of the Etudes from a cold start - how he manages to do that is completely beyond me. His comments also strike me as very well informed. He’s also an excellent broadcaster - very articulate.
                    Agree abut Danny Driver's contribution. Much to my annoyance circumstances prevented me from listening to any of the programmes except for a fair bit of Tuesday's. However, I found DD's explanation and demonstration of the way one of the effects in the Three pieces for two pianos (played at the end of that broadcast) was achieved easy to understand and it added to my interest.
                    How did Kate do in her first run at CotW?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Agree abut Danny Driver's contribution. Much to my annoyance circumstances prevented me from listening to any of the programmes except for a fair bit of Tuesday's. However, I found DD's explanation and demonstration of the way one of the effects in the Three pieces for two pianos (played at the end of that broadcast) was achieved easy to understand and it added to my interest.
                      How did Kate do in her first run at CotW?
                      I thought very well. She has good interviewing skills. There was an awful lot of Ligeti piano music. I can’t help thinking that the Ligeti piano Etudes are a perfect technical preparation for playing……the Ligeti piano etudes. But as I can’t play any of them I’m not really the right judge.

Comment

Some superfluous information - Ligeti's études are currently the subject of Tribune des Critiques on France Musique. Very heavy going....

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                          Some superfluous information - Ligeti's études are currently the subject of Tribune des Critiques on France Musique. Very heavy going....
                          The Ligeti Etudes or Tribune des Critiques? I will admit that I found the Biret recordings of the former somewhat heavy going, but that was
                          mainly down to the generally slow tempi at which she played them. I have the Aimard recordings but am tempted very much to add the Danny Driver on Hyperion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The Ligeti Etudes or Tribune des Critiques? I will admit that I found the Biret recordings of the former somewhat heavy going, but that was
                            mainly down to the generally slow tempi at which she played them. I have the Aimard recordings but am tempted very much to add the Danny Driver on Hyperion.
                            Well, both - particularly when the critics all speak at once! Yes I believe they preferred the Aimard recording, out of the six presented. You can vote for your preference, if you wish::
                            Alain Lompech, Karol Beffa et Negar Haeri élisent la version de référence des Etudes de Ligeti. Vous aussi participez à la Tribune des critiques et gagnez le disque France Musique de la semaine !

Comment

I agree with this. I also find her voice very irritating - it's so sugary - and her diction isn't particularly clear, especially compared to the incomparable Mr McLeod. However, if she and the team stick to the format he made a virtue of, it won't be the worst change to befall the station.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                                it won't be the worst change to befall the station.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X