Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Birth of the Concert Spirituel

This week Donald Macleod presents the work of not one composer but 27, from familiar names like Haydn, Mozart and Vivaldi to largely forgotten ones like Rigel, Dauvergne and Montéclair. All of them rubbed shoulders in the 18th century's longest-running concert series, the Concert Spirituel, which started in Paris in the reign of Louis XV and continued uninterrupted until just after the French Revolution. During this astonishingly rich 65-year period, music was undergoing a gradual transformation, from the end of the Baroque era to the beginning of the Classical - a process that's fully reflected in the programmes of the Concert Spirituel, all of which have been preserved in contemporary journals.

Never mind Symphony. This will be good. It’s a repeat but that's more than fine by me.

I thought it was a reference to Hervé Niquet's ensemble - mais non!

Btw, is it a repeat? It doesn't say so on the schedule grid or under the individual programmes.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oops! It was a bit early in the morning. No, it’s not a repeat. All the better.

Comment

Currently listening to this (again) on i-player - an excellent programme (both in a broadcasting sense and a musical sense).

OG

Comment

Delightful as well as excellent. A true treasure trove.

Comment

It's a fascinating COTW week. I shall revisit the podcast....
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
            X