Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composer of Next Week

Looks like an interesting week, featuring the young Shostakovich and his contemporaries, along the lines of "Young Dmitri and his friends", namely Roslavets, Deshevov, Mosolov, Zhivotov and Popov. Apart from Roslavets, these are just names to me, so it should be instructive!

Is Mosolov the Iron Foundry man?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Cherubini finally made it to COTW this week. But why wasn't he a COTW in 2010 in his 250th birth anniversary year???

Referring to next week. Popov is a very interesting composer, yet another fascinating symphonist who hasn't had all of his symphonies recorded yet or many of his other works either.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Yes, apparently so. "Extreme dissonance and chromaticism", it says here. That should wake a few people up! But apparently he didn't bother with tone-rows (memorably pronounced by Vaughan Williams to rhyme with "wows"), he just hit all the notes together in chords. I like that in a composer :cool2:

Comment

I have a Russian Melodiya LP of Mosolov's music including (inevitably) 'The Iron Foundry', but also 'Piano Concerto 1' and 'Soldiers Songs: Suite for Russian Folk Orchestra'. Its a long time since I played it and I have to admit, its only 'The Iron Foundry' that sticks in the memory.

The sleeve note on 'The Iron Foundry' is worth quoting (in the english translation):

"A. Mosolov undoubtedly tried to create the impression of a huge working machine. The music impresses with its vivid harmonic scene - rhythmic drive and laconic statement - the piece lasts a little over three minutes. The effect of increasing mechanical movement is achieved with simple and graphic means: the work's basis is the first bar: "revolving" figure of violas and clarinets against the background of the trombone and trumpet roaring crescendo. New details gradually weave into the musical texture: raw trumpet lines, brilliant violin flageolet notes, the sound of a tam-tam and, lastly, the rattling of a metal sheet specially incorporated in the orchestra. The middle part of the work is deliberately tough, full of scratching dissonances of the brass. The symphonic episode's centre is a graphic deliberately awkward statement of French horns: the musicians stand up."

Trumpet roaring crescendo, rattling of a metal sheet, violin flageolet notes (? what are they?), scratching dissonances of the brass and a graphic deliberately awkward statement of French horns. Ready? Hold onto your seats, it only lasts three minutes.

Comment

I have to admit my complete ignorance of all the composers except Shostakovich so I'll be listening with interest.

Comment

Well Monday's programme is fascinating, setting Shostakovitch's compositions in their historical context...

Comment

Thanks for that quote, umslopopgaas. I have that CD, but without any of the accompanying documantation, (I got it in a sale).

Comment

This was Radio 3 at its very best.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Must play the Mosolov Piano Concerto again - brilliant!

This music seems to anticipate any number of West European composers - including Bartok?

Comment

Well the Mosolov and Bartok 1st Concerto are exactly contemporary (both 1926-7).

Comment

Don't miss Gavrill Popov on Friday. Much underated composer. Plenty of samples of his Symphonies on You Tube to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                          Must play the Mosolov Piano Concerto again - brilliant!
                          Looking forward to hearing it in the repeat tonight. A new composer to me. Mosolov on In Tune as well - wow! - despite Sean Rafferty's remark that it was nice when it finished!

Comment

Suffolkcoastal. Interesting that they are from the same year. Coincidentally, Bartok Piano concerto No.1 being broadcast tonight(Thursday) with Yefim Bronfman as soloist.

Comment

I heard a trailer for tonight's concert yesterday and it advertised Yefim Bronfman playing Bartok's Piano Concerto, as if he had only composed one! You tube has got some fascinating stuff at the moment I've recordings of Popov's 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th & Chamber Symphonies but didn't know the 3rd. Popov really is an impressive composer, he and Vainberg/Weinberg seem to be far and away the best among Shostakovich's contemporaries within the Soviet Union IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X