No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvorak

No takers for one of the greats?

Caught a little of it today, sounded interesting stuff.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    No takers for one of the greats?

Caught a little of it today, sounded interesting stuff.
    Lately I've decided that his seventh symphony is my favourite.

Also like his Stabat Mater very much.

Never really took to his cello concerto

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Also like his Stabat Mater very much.

The Czech Suite is a rollicking good listen.

I would have thought it impossible not to like the CC !!!!!!!!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

On dear. One of my all time favourite works. Am counting the minutes until Steven Isserlis's new recording comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          On dear. One of my all time favourite works. Am counting the minutes until Steven Isserlis's new recording comes out.
          I know! Sad, but I can't lie. Never took to it

Saw Isserlis do the Protecting Veil (premier?) at the RFH when it came out. The other work was Tchaikovsky's 6 BBCSO.

Comment

I know! Sad, but I can't lie. Never took to it

Saw Isserlis do the Protecting Veil (premier?) at the RFH when it came out. The other work was Tchaikovsky's 6 BBCSO.
            Please, PLEASE promise me you'll try again, Beefy. The bit at the end where he quotes the song he'd written for his late sister in law (actually, the great love of his life) is enough to bring a tear to a glass eye! One of my favourite moments in ALL music is where the solo violin makes It's first appearance in the last movement. Just magical.

Comment

Please, PLEASE promise me you'll try again, Beefy. The bit at the end where he quotes the song he'd written for his late sister in law (actually, the great love of his life) is enough to bring a tear to a glass eye! One of my favourite moments in ALL music is where the solo violin makes It's first appearance in the last movement. Just magical.
              I will most definitely revisit it!

I have the Karajan/Rostropovich DG CD. Not played it in years!

Edit: teamsaint's post on another thread reminds me that I've also got du Pre in this work!
              Last edited by Beef Oven!; 03-09-13, 21:35.

Comment

.... The bit at the end where he quotes the song he'd written for his late sister in law (actually, the great love of his life) is enough to bring a tear to a glass eye! One of my favourite moments in ALL music is where the solo violin makes It's first appearance in the last movement. Just magical.
                And the weird thing is that both these very moving passages are afterthoughts of which the latter was composed into the then already finished score after the death of his sister-in-law/love-of-his-life.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  And the weird thing is that both these very moving passages are afterthoughts of which the latter was composed into the then already finished score after the death of his sister-in-law/love-of-his-life.
                  The long awaited Isserlis recording on Hyperion promises the original ending as well as the regular one. Really looking forward to it.

Comment

I will most definitely revisit it!

I have the Karajan/Rostropovich DG CD. Not played it in years!

Edit: teamsaint's post on another thread reminds me that I've also got du Pre in this work!
                    Karajan and Slava give one of the great performances of this work. Please let me know hoe you get on.

Comment

The long awaited Isserlis recording on Hyperion promises the original ending as well as the regular one. Really looking forward to it.
                      October: including the A-major concerto too

Comment

Still not sure which is my favourite, even after 40 years of listening. Very much intend taking as long as possible before reaching any sort of firm decision!

Making up your mind is an over-rated activity, particularly where value-judgments are concerned

I am tolerably certain however that it's not 1, 2 or 3: see previous threads somewhere. If pushed I'd go for 8 at the moment...
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          Still not sure which is my favourite, even after 40 years of listening. Very much intend taking as long as possible over the decision!

Making up your mind is an over-rated activity, particularly where value-judgments are concerned
                          In these egalitarian times, I'll have the prerogative to change my mind (the sunny sixth is a candidate)

Comment

Am counting the minutes until Steven Isserlis's new recording comes out.
                            ... The long awaited Isserlis recording on Hyperion promises the original ending as well as the regular one. Really looking forward to it.
                            Originally posted by Roehre View Post

I've had a copy for a couple of weeks...

Much of his orchestral music I love without it being desert island fare. I tend to be a bit underwhelmed by his chamber music, though there is much I don't know; I can't bear his choral stuff I'm afraid.
                            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 03-09-13, 22:49.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A few things I like:
                              I enjoyed the Violin Concerto on headphones in the garden this afternoon, Oistrakh/Kondrashin.
                              I have a soft spot for the Sixth with Pesek and the Czech Phil + a bracing In Nature's Realm.
                              Love songs with Mrs Rattle.
                              The Dumky Trio has always appealed to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X