• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

21.2.11 CotW - F. Geminiani

"Francesco Geminiani was considered something of a musical god, deemed to be the equal of Handel and Corelli, a master without parallel in the art of composition in 18th century London - Donald Macleod traces the life and music of this now largely forgotten composer.

Geminiani's life began in Lucca, initially learning the violin from his father, then on to lessons with Il Gobbo - "the Hunchback". He'd also go on to be tutored by two Arcadian masters, counterpoint with Alessandro Scarlatti, and additional violin lessons with Corelli..." Episode 1
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Simon

The only thing I recall about him was that he never wrote anything for voice. Don't know if that's true or not, though!

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Thank you ff for flagging this up. All those Concerto grosso (grossi?) will brighten up my days no end.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Geminiani's life began in Lucca
        My favourite town on the planet

I knew Puccini was from Lucca, but not Geminiani too!

I bought his Concerti Grossi last year, I went for Egarr/AAM I think. It's terrific stuff, Doversoul - prepare for brighter days!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• PatrickOD

Although Carolan was undoubtedly an Irish musician I've always heard the baroque in his compositions, and especially when Geminiani's name crops up I can't help thinking of Carolan.

Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738) fu un arpista e compositore irlandese, che, divenuto cieco all'età di 18 anni, esercitò la sua arte con gran...

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

There are many lesser Baroque composers whose work is OK but just rather ordinary. I'd like to thank CotW for introducing me to Geminiani, with whom I'd had only a nodding acquaintance before. He was clearly a master of his craft and I've been very agreeably surprised by the quality of his work. One wonders if (like Spohr and Hummel a generation or two later) he might have been one of the 'greats' if it had not been for the mighty Handel. And as Donald Macleod said, his being a Catholic in London did not help with appointments, commissions and so on.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              There are many lesser Baroque composers whose work is OK but just rather ordinary. I'd like to thank CotW for introducing me to Geminiani, with whom I'd had only a nodding acquaintance before. He was clearly a master of his craft and I've been very agreeably surprised by the quality of his work.
              Agreed. I almost didn't listen as a lot of Baroque music leaves me cold but this was something different. I was expecting second-rate Vivaldi at best but Geminiani's works sparkled with vivacity, excitement and originality. Brilliant.

CotW seems to be going from strength to strength at the moment - late Sibelius, young Shostakovich and friends, Paisiello and now a true Baroque master.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I did not know his works at all but after buying some Avison concertos I have discovered an early AAM/Hogwood set of Geminiani\s Op 3 .

Terrific music and played with a great sense of discovery. Any other recommended Geminiani records - the AAM and Hogwood do not appear to have recorded any more .

Comment

Working...
                X