Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benjamin Britten w/c 18 November 2013

In the week of the centenary of Britten's nativity, Donald MacLeod embarks on a traversal of the life of BB. The COTW link is here.

Some interesting juvenilia in the first programme, although the sainted Donald let his halo slip somewhat by saying that some event took place in February 1935, on the day of Elgar's death (sic).
    Last edited by Sir Velo; 20-11-13, 14:02. Reason: Clarity

was the premiere of the Simple Symphony in February 1934 (Elgar's death) ?
    Mary would know

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      Mary would know
      It was the premiere of A Boy Was Born, I'm fairly sure.

Comment

Mary would know
        No, the work referred to was the first broadcast of A Boy Was Born. The year, of course, was 1934.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          No, the work referred to was the first broadcast of A Boy Was Born. The year, of course, was 1934.
          Sir Edward William Elgar
          Born: June 2, 1857, Broadheath
          Died: February 23, 1934, Worcester

A Boy was Born was 1st broadcast by the B.B.C. on 23 February 1934 so the story is true but Donald had a slip of the tongue on the year.
          Last edited by Guest; 20-11-13, 11:25.

Comment

I don't want to turn into a sad mistake-spotter, but I think we were just told that in the Prologue to the Serenade for TH&S the horn is offstage

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
              A Boy was Born was 1st broadcast by the B.B.C. on 23 February 1934 so the story is true but Donald had a slip of the tongue on the year.
              While everyone else in the studio was asleep, or just plain ignorant of the major dates of our most celebrated composer? No, Stephen, I'm afraid this won't wash. My understanding of COTW is that DM reads from a pre-prepared script, largely put together by researchers. Sadly, neither he nor his producers have the knowledge to spot and correct these howlers when they're made.

Comment

I don't want to turn into a sad mistake-spotter, but I think we were just told that in the Prologue to the Serenade for TH&S the horn is offstage[/I]
                I don't think it's sad - but then I do it myself all the time! Many people rely on Radio 3 for information, so it should be accurate. It's not as if it's difficult to check a few facts.

(I didn't actually notice the mistake you mention, but I was only half listening.)

Comment

I don't want to turn into a sad mistake-spotter, but I think we were just told that in the Prologue to the Serenade for TH&S the horn is offstage
                  Another slip of the tongue no doubt.

Comment

I think what p*sses one off is, knowing the number of less qualification-requiring jobs one could have done better, but have been turned down for.

Comment

My understanding of COTW is that DM reads from a pre-prepared script, largely put together by researchers. Sadly, neither he nor his producers have the knowledge to spot and correct these howlers when they're made.
                      Pre-prepared?

Comment

In the week of his nativity, Donald McLeod embarks on a traversal of the life of BB.
                        ... I didn't know Donald McLeod was born this week...

Comment

The YPG was dedicated to Humphrey Maud (and his sisters), not John Maud, who was his father.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... I didn't know Donald McLeod was born this week...
                            Thank you Dr Johnson!

Comment

Sadly, neither he nor his producers have the knowledge to spot and correct these howlers when they're made.

I'm personally enjoying today's CotW very much, on-stage horn and wrong dedicatee notwithstanding. It is great that we have members of the Forum who are able to spot the mistakes and put them right, but let's not get too vitriolic about CotW and Donald. He cannot be expected to be an expert on everything and it is indeed researchers who work on the details. But it is one of a dwindling number of 'proper' programmes on R3...long may it continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X