• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Jon Leifs CotW 9th to 13th December 2013

At last. Those who only know his work from Hekla or Geysir might be surprised at the breadth of his work.

[Oops, posted in haste. Not just Jon Leifs, but other Icelandic music too.]
    Last edited by Bryn; 09-12-13, 20:16.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Donald sounds as if he's having a whale of a time out there. I assume the Beeb paid his air fare. He's obviously practised his Icelandic accent too. Glad to be introduced to Leifs.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Donald sounds as if he's having a whale of a time out there. I assume the Beeb paid his air fare. He's obviously practised his Icelandic accent too. Glad to be introduced to Leifs.
      Leifs' music is new to me; does anybody on here actually like it - be honest? I suppose one way to keep warm in a place like Iceland is to write a lot of very macho bombastic music!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Was the organ concert on yesterday's programme by Leifs? (Can't find a playlist.) It was all huge climaxes and faux endings! Probably an impressive sound heard in the flesh, so to speak.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Was the organ concert on yesterday's programme by Leifs? (Can't find a playlist.) It was all huge climaxes and faux endings! Probably an impressive sound heard in the flesh, so to speak.
          Yes it was, and in answer to S_A, I do. A favourite is Part 1 of Edda. Eagerly awaiting Part 2 which Robert von Bahr has advised he intends to record in due course.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Phew - well that's over then - what a re-Leifs! I was reminded of Stravinsky's comment on hearing Messiaen's "Turangalila" - asking if its composer was jealous of the supersonic bang and suggesting it be re-titled "L'Apres-Midi D'un Super-Faun"!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Phew - well that's over then - what a re-Leifs! I was reminded of Stravinsky's comment on hearing Messiaen's "Turangalila" - asking if its composer was jealous of the supersonic bang and suggesting it be re-titled "L'Apres-Midi D'un Super-Faun"!
              Hmm, a comment just about as well observed as Stravinsky's, what?
              Last edited by Bryn; 13-12-13, 18:04.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I note that Ilan Volkov with be including Jón Leifs's Landsýn and Hafís in a concert given in the Harpa, Reykjavík, next June. I wonder if he will also bring them to next summer's Proms, with the BBCSSO, rather than the ISO?
                Last edited by Bryn; 13-12-13, 20:54.

Comment

Working...
                X