• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Louise Farrenc CotW Sorbonne 11-16/12/13

suggested by listener's poll Louise Farrenc is given the treatment this week ..... caught by the charm of her music yesterday , listening again today .... some meaty social history for Donald Macleod in looking over her career and subsequent disappearance from view ...

her lovely work is new to me .... just what R3 is for [and no effin phone ins; no my shit of the week; just good old fashioned talk and play by a master of his game]
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Not caught much of this, but the last movement of the first symphony sounded excellent stuff indeed.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, I stumbled across a disc of Farrenc's chamber music at a charity shop in Bristol only a couple of weeks ago - and am glad that I bought it (speculatively, as I have never knowingly heard her music previously). The Ambache Ensemble play a nonet, sextet and trio. The nonet in particular is delightful - shades of Mendelssohn and Hummel to my untutored ear. Unfortunately, I am unable to catch either the original or the repeated CoW, so I'll try to Listen Again if I get the chance, as I would very much like to hear the symphonies.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

is online a possibility Rolmill?

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Rolmill
          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=aka Calum Da Jazbo;360341]is online a possibility Rolmill?

Yes, that's what I meant - I used the wrong terminology! Thanks aka CDJ.

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

I caught some of the Louise Farrenc music while driving around at lunchtimes this week, quite a revelation.

CDs at Amazon are not cheap.

and astonished at a boxed set of 6 CDs of Women Composers..... £400+ !

- - -

John W

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by John Wright View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-Great-Wome...louise+farrenc
              'Because I'm worth it'?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                The Ambache Ensemble play a nonet, sextet and trio.
                I think the Ambache Ens did a BBC MM disc of music by c3 women composers. Did that feature any Farrenc? - I'm keen to sample more after hearing odd bits of this week's CotW.

A reminder of which composers were on that disc would help me to find it, whether or not these included Farrenc
                Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 22-12-13, 00:54. Reason: Farrenc not Farranc - DOHHH!
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Rolmill
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                  I think the Ambache Ens did a BBC MM disc of music by c3 women composers. Did that feature any Farranc? - I'm keen to sample more after hearing odd bits of this week's CotW.

A reminder of which composers were on that disc would help me to find it, whether or not these included Farranc
                  Well remembered LMP - I have that disc and had forgotten that it included Farrenc's Clarinet Trio in E flat (so I was wrong to claim that I hadn't heard any of her music previously), must listen to it again. The BBC MM disc also includes Clara Schumann's Konzertsatz in F minor, Fanny Mendelssohn's Piano Trio in D minor and "Deux pieces" by Maria Grandval. Hope that info helps you find it...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Well remembered LMP - I have that disc and had forgotten that it included Farrenc's Clarinet Trio in E flat (so I was wrong to claim that I hadn't heard any of her music previously), must listen to it again. The BBC MM disc also includes Clara Schumann's Konzertsatz in F minor, Fanny Mendelssohn's Piano Trio in D minor and "Deux pieces" by Maria Grandval. Hope that info helps you find it...
                    Rolmill: bullseye - filed under C Schumann!

Maybe it'd be more findable under Ambache...

Comment

• Rolmill
                      • Nov 2010

Rolmill: bullseye - filed under C Schumann!

Maybe it'd be more findable under Ambache...
                      Yes, in fact the Mendelssohn and Farrenc are both more substantial than the Schumann! I have it filed in my chamber music section (as per the old Penguin Record Guide hierarchy)

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Yes, in fact the Mendelssohn and Farrenc are both more substantial than the Schumann!
                        True, but Clara is 1st on the disc. (Now just why should that swing it?)

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by John Wright View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-Great-Wome...louise+farrenc
                          Even more remarkable, it's number 526,765 in Amazon's list of best sellers ...
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Even more remarkable, it's number 526,765 in Amazon's list of best sellers ...
                            Don't give them ideas. Another list to be read out in Breakfast?

Comment

• Rolmill
                              • Nov 2010

True, but Clara is 1st on the disc. (Now just why should that swing it?)
                              But does that mean a disc of an orchestral concert gets filed under the composer of the overture?

Actually, it is a disc which defies easy categorisation - no one piece dominates, but it is also not solely chamber music! Probably best to file according to which piece/composer is most interesting to you, in which case Clara could well be the most appropriate answer.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the disc and of its inclusion of the Farrenc trio.

Comment

Working...
                              X