Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Point taken and agreed with but, like those other two composers, these are in the minority, n'est-ce pas?...
    N'yes...but a significant minority.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      ... it's necessary to separate fine gold from dross if we're going to programme effectively, ensuring they contain a sufficiency of works by the greatest masters of the present and past.
      What the hell does that pompous gobbledegook mean?

#61 … what's a significant minority. Why does it matter?
      Last edited by Zucchini; 26-11-19, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        Some of the "patriotic" symphonies that I have heard from M.W. pen I am content not to resample, and remind me of DSCH Symphonies 2,3 and 12, or Prokofiev "Song Of The Forest" or Odes to Stalin
        What, apart from their overt political texts or events commemorated, is your musical criticism of these works? I am thinking, in particular, of Zdravitsa which Svetlanov and Rozhdestvensky did much to revive. In passing, when you write "Odes" in the plural, are you thinking of the Constitution movement from the Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution that had to wait until some years after the revival of the rest of the work? If so, again, what is you musical gripe?

For those not familiar with Zdravitsa:

Last edited by Bryn; 26-11-19, 13:41. Reason: Video link added.

Comment

For me Weinberg is up there with DSCH as one of the great 20th century Soviet composers.
          I would even say there are some works by MW that are greater than their DSCH equivalents.
          For example Piano Quintet,12th Symphony 2nd Piano Sonata and maybe a couple of the String Quartets
          I'm no expert and can't back up this claim with any sort of analysis though.
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
            What the hell does that pompous gobbledegook mean?

#61 … what's a significant minority. Why does it matter?
            Examples: 5% might be insignificant
            whereas 30% would be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              What, apart from their overt political texts or events commemorated, is your musical criticism of these works? I am thinking, in particular, of Zdravitsa which Svetlanov and Rozhdestvensky did much to revive. In passing, when you write "Odes" in the plural, are you thinking of the Constitution movement from the Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution that had to wait until some years after the revival of the rest of the work? If so, again, what is you musical gripe?

For those not familiar with Zdravitsa:

Well, none of those works are known
              known for their Musical Subtlety, for one thing. And they tend to equate volume of sound with depth of expression. And are you really capable of separating out the sounds and ignoring the service to which they are employed? I can't. YMMV

Comment

Just a note for enthusiasts: the current (12/2019) Gramophone has the coverline "Weinberg at 100: The overdue revival of a major composer".
                By the usually excellent David Fanning, the feature runs to several pages with 9 selected recordings.....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Just a note for enthusiasts: the current (12/2019) Gramophone has the coverline "Weinberg at 100: The overdue revival of a major composer".
                  By the usually excellent David Fanning, the feature runs to several pages with 9 selected recordings.....
                  Thanks Jayne

Anything DF has to say about Weinberg will be worth reading
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

On The Barnsley Breakfast this morning .... ?????

Comment

The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra has available a video with MW's Trumpet Concerto, for the next day or so:

Ein Konzert von Jugendlichen für Jugendliche am 08. FEB 2024 ab 19 Uhr live aus dem Gewandhaus zu Leipzig. Mit freundlicher Unterstützung der PwC-Stiftung.

Comment

Just caught up with young Kanneh-Mason's performance of Weinberg's cello concerto in Liverpool last night. While clearly more than a little reminiscent of Shostakovich at times, I think it's a fine work in its own right and I'm glad it seems to have found a young champion. (There was also a pretty decent Elgar 2nd symphony in the 2nd half with the RLPO sounding in fine form under their Principal Guest Conductor Andrew Manze).

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          Just caught up with young Kanneh-Mason's performance of Weinberg's cello concerto in Liverpool last night. While clearly more than a little reminiscent of Shostakovich at times, I think it's a fine work in its own right and I'm glad it seems to have found a young champion. (There was also a pretty decent Elgar 2nd symphony in the 2nd half with the RLPO sounding in fine form under their Principal Guest Conductor Andrew Manze).
                          I heard the ‘cello concerto last night. I looked up a cd on Gramophone which coupled the 20th Symphony with the concerto. Oh boy, the reviewer did not pull his punches and was scathing in very few words about the concerto and found the symphony was not an easy work to appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

I heard the ‘cello concerto last night. I looked up a cd on Gramophone which coupled the 20th Symphony with the concerto. Oh boy, the reviewer did not pull his punches and was scathing in very few words about the concerto and found the symphony was not an easy work to appreciate.
                            Or, to quote another review (this one from the Guardian a few years ago) 'a distinctive, powerful piece' As far as I'm concerned, it passed the 'Do I ever want to listen to it again?' test.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Or, to quote another review (this one from the Guardian a few years ago) 'a distinctive, powerful piece' As far as I'm concerned, it passed the 'Do I ever want to listen to it again?' test.
                              Well, I actually did want to hear it again. I’ve never heard it before and was intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Well, I actually did want to hear it again. I’ve never heard it before and was intrigued.
                                Same here!

Comment

Working...
                                X