No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alkan, Charles-Valentin (1813 - 88)

Hi all,
    There is a fantastic sounding CD of Alkan piano music (including the fearsome Scherzo fucoso, Op.34 - it's also on you-tube) which has been released in Japan. The pianist is Yui Morishita. However, it is only available via Amazon.jp. Does anyone here have any experience of ordering from that site and, if so, have any idea of the cost of postage on 1 CD to the UK? Many thanks in advance...
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

I attempted to sign up to the Amazon.jp site but it wouldn't allow me. Alas, since my Japanese isn't the best, (ie, non-existent!), and despite the site purporting to be the English version, I couldn't work out what the problem was. I've bought stuff from the US and European versions of Amazon but the Asian sites are difficult.

Without a certain command of the language, I'd be wary.

Hopefully, someone else may have a way round it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      . . . the fearsome Scherzo fucoso, Op.34 . . .
      Thanks for sharing. Awesome and fearsome indeed.
      One for Valentina Lisitska? She'll probably shave off another minute or so. :-)
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I have ordered some items from HMV Japan, can't remember postage but nothing prohibitive.

Comment

I assume that this is it?

Yui Morishita (Pf),Alkan: Piano Collection 1 "Symphonie",CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

CD Japan will quote you shipping charges so you know exactly what you are paying. They are very efficient - and have excellent packaging. In the maybe eight or nine times that I've ordered from them, I've never had to pay customs duty. I can't remember if they offer the option or not but, if you use Japan Post's Express Mail Service, you will get stung not only for import duty/VAT but also a pretty steep "handling fee" by Parcelforce. Non-express post (standard airmail) is still pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Yui Morishita (Pf),Alkan: Piano Collection 1 "Symphonie",CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

CD Japan will quote you shipping charges so you know exactly what you are paying. They are very efficient - and have excellent packaging. In the maybe eight or nine times that I've ordered from them, I've never had to pay customs duty. I can't remember if they offer the option or not but, if you use Japan Post's Express Mail Service, you will get stung not only for import duty/VAT but also a pretty steep "handling fee" by Parcelforce. Non-express post (standard airmail) is still pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

So that's £17.95 including p&p if you are happy to wait for small packet rate, and the customs and excise folk are prepared to overlook the 23p over the cut-off rate of £15 for the purchase price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                Hi all,
                There is a fantastic sounding CD of Alkan piano music (including the fearsome Scherzo fucoso, Op.34 - it's also on you-tube) which has been released in Japan. The pianist is Yui Morishita. However, it is only available via Amazon.jp. Does anyone here have any experience of ordering from that site and, if so, have any idea of the cost of postage on 1 CD to the UK? Many thanks in advance...
                Hi Jonathan

I've never ordered anything from that site but it's available to download from I Tunes,I am going to do that later.

I take it you are familiar with this

Comment

I don't own a single note of Alkan. Is there on album that would be a good introduction?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    I don't own a single note of Alkan. Is there on album that would be a good introduction?
                    Nice bargain collection Richard

and this is top notch,currently featuring on what are you listening to now thread

Comment

The 12 exudes disc is a bit pricey...but thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. The cdjapan option looks like a probable solution and at least I have an idea of the cost. I've stopped using iTunes recently, not for any particular reason!
                        I'd not seen his other recordings, I shall have to look at these later on.
                        I've also seen recently that the recordings formerly on ASV (which no longer exists) are slowly being rereleased via Presto Classical so the amazing Jack Gibbons 12 etudes May soon be available again, perhaps more cheaply.
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

I dont have any Alkan on CD, but first got to know his Concerto for Solo Piano on an LP, played by Ronald Smith. He also did another LP of shorter pieces including the Sonatine. I also have an LP of a recital of Alkan works, including Symphonie, by Raymond Lewenthal. I'm no pianist, but they all sound stunning to me and if they've been issued on CD I'd recommend them.

Comment

Woops, several more LPs of Alkan which I overlooked. Three more by Ronald Smith: one of various pieces played on the Colt Clavier Collection, one of the Grande Sonate Op. 33 and one of the Symphony Op. 39. Also one of the 12 Etudes, played by Michael Ponti, and one of the Concerto for Solo Piano, played by John Ogdon. All recommended.

Comment

Alkan, Charles-Valentin (1813 - 88)

I am interested in exploring the music of these 2 Composers but don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X