Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abrahamsen, Hans (b 1952)

Thanks to the Huddersfield Festival of Contemporary Music, I have attended concerts featuring his Music on a number of occasions (IIRC, that "number" being precisely three) - my curiosity aroused by the enthusiasm for his work by others, many of whom have brought my attention to highly rewarding Music that I hadn't previously known about. Abrahamsen I find a very difficult nut to crack - the most vivid memory I have of it was a performance of Schnee ("Snow") in which I sat through the best part of an hour listening to an initially interesting idea that then stopped, and was repeated, and then stopped, and then repeated, and then stopped, and then ...

By about a third of the way through, I was quietly going spare. It was like sitting next to someone who'd just told you a moderately amusing joke, and then repeated the punchline, and dug me in the ribs and - thinking I hadn't got it - repeated it again and again. Not at all my sort of thing. But then last year his monodrama Let Me Tell You became a best-selling CD - a "modern classical" piece that didn't seek to "placate" a "wider audience" caught the attention and imaginations of exactly such an audience.

Anybody else have any more positive comments and/or recommendations to make about this composer?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Here is Schnee (all of it):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... and here, an excerpt from Let Me Tell You:

Comment

The first SQ was the work that got me interested in him. Invigorating use of the medium,championed by the Danish String Quartet.

I really ought to have listened to more of his music, and certainly Intend to , my excuse for not having done so previously is the sheer wealth of music so easily available to us.
        Looks like Ferney' recommendations are a good place to start.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I remember being somewhat bemused by reading Abrahamsen's programme note for Schnee, which gives the impression that its numerous sections involve considerable variety and in particular different approaches to canonic structure, and then listening to it and thinking that all the sections sound more or less the same, to be sure not unpleasant, but not something I felt I needed to investigate more deeply - I have no problem in principle with music that goes on for a long time without changing much, but this seemed to me, I don't know, somehow a bit like eating a whole box of chocolates all of the same extremely sweet flavour.

Comment

Working...
          X