• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Felix the Gnat
    Banned
    • Jun 2019

Hartmann, Karl Amadeus (1905-1963)

Had Metzmacher's cycle of KAH's symphonies for a long time now (since their release, whenever that was) and they have never completely taken off with me, in the same way as say, Henze's symphonies. I listened to them all through twice today and determined to get my head and ears properly around #6 (no particular reason).

I quite enjoy the recording of his works for string quartet that I have (Vogler Quartett).

Not sure why this composer is almost completely ignored on this forum.

Here's Kubelik. Scratchy sound, but a good performance, IMO and a great bit of filming (not that I know much about things like that). The music starts at 3'.30' if you want to skip the spoken introduction which is in German.

Last edited by Felix the Gnat; 27-01-20, 22:39.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Felix The Gnat View Post
    Not sure why this composer is almost completely ignored on this forum.
    I'm pretty sure there has been some discussion of his music at some stage. I know what you mean about it not quite hitting the spot in the way that Henze might. For me Hartmann's 2nd is a powerful and memorable piece but I don't think any of the others has made much of an impact.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      I'm pretty sure there has been some discussion of his music at some stage. I know what you mean about it not quite hitting the spot in the way that Henze might. For me Hartmann's 2nd is a powerful and memorable piece but I don't think any of the others has made much of an impact.
      What about his Concerto Funebre? I recall that being coupled with the Hindemith Violin Concerto on an LP I had.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Like Richard, I'm sure there have been some comments in the past, perhaps on his Concerto funèbre.
        I too have that Metzmacher symphony set; I haven't really got on that well with them, either.
        Good to listen right through twice, though (one for the 'Repeat button' thread?); it's sometimes what I do too.

Must confess to not knowing the Henze symphonies, something I perhaps need to remedy.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
          Banned
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          6,7 & 8 caught me most. 5 was a bit too obviously 'Stravinskian', something that I struggle with a little, whoever the composer. 2 didn't make much impact, but your view has interested me to revisit.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
            Banned
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            What about his Concerto Funebre? I recall that being coupled with the Hindemith Violin Concerto on an LP I had.
            Yes, I forgot to mention the Funebre. A very strong work.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Like Richard, I'm sure there have been some comments in the past, perhaps on his Concerto funèbre.
              I too have that Metzmacher symphony set; I haven't really got on that well with them, either.
              Good to listen right through twice, though (one for the 'Repeat button' thread?); it's sometimes what I do too.

Must confess to not knowing the Henze symphonies, something I perhaps need to remedy.
              Most certainly, I recall having a particular soft spot for the Stravinskyan 3rd. I got the Hartmann Metzmacher set back in 2007. I ought to listen again.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Coincidentally, Hartmann and Krenek are two composers I've got on my year's listening project (along with Searle and Gerhard). I've had the Metzmacher set for about four years now (I bought it when Hartmann was last discussed here) and intend to enjoy some serious listenings over the next months.

Crumbs! - looking at his dates, I realize that I'm older now than he ever reached! He always looked in his late 60s in the most famous photos.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2019

Not so much 'didn't get on with them, more nothing really ignited. Except perhaps 6

For sure you must

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Not so much 'didn't get on with them, more nothing really ignited. Except perhaps 6
                    Yes, that's a better way of putting it, perhaps.

For sure you must
                    Oh no: more expense!

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2019

Yes, that's a better way of putting it, perhaps.

Oh no: more expense!
                      Do you do downloads?

If so, Qobuz are doing the 10 symphonies on Wergo Rundfunk Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Marek Janowski on 24/96 Hi-Res as follows: (3,4&5 £5.04) - (1&6 £4.32) - (7&8 £5.04) - (9 £5.04).

I bought them all except 9 for under £20 which I thought was good. I have Metzmacher's BPO et al 9 and because I'm not keen on 9, I didn't bother with another recording.

Bear in mind Richard's comments on the merits of the composer's own performances 1-5 BPO, 6 LSO on DG. Personally, while I've always favoured the DG, I'm pretty thrilled with the modern recordings.
                      Last edited by Felix the Gnat; 28-01-20, 00:57.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Coincidentally, Hartmann and Krenek are two composers I've got on my year's listening project (along with Searle and Gerhard). I've had the Metzmacher set for about four years now (I bought it when Hartmann was last discussed here) and intend to enjoy some serious listenings over the next months.
                        Coincidentally, I bought the Krenek and the Wellesz CPO symphony cycles in 2016 but haven't played them in quite a while, so this week I put them on my 'to-listen-to' list along with Searle!

Crumbs! - looking at his dates, I realize that I'm older now than he ever reached! He always looked in his late 60s in the most famous photos.
                        He does look older than he is/was in the photos.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Do you do downloads?

If so, Qobuz are doing the 10 symphonies on Wergo Rundfunk Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Marek Janowski on 24/96 Hi-Res as follows: (3,4&5 £5.04) - (1&6 £4.32) - (7&8 £5.04) - (9 £5.04).

I bought them all except 9 for under £20 which I thought was good. I have Metzmacher's BPO et al 9 and because I'm not keen on 9, I didn't bother with another recording.

Bear in mind Richard's comments on the merits of the composer's own performances 1-5 BPO, 6 LSO on DG. Personally, while I've always favoured the DG, I'm pretty thrilled with the modern recordings.
                          Thanks!
                          DG set (1–6) found on Deezer, so I shall start there.
                          I need to dig out my copies of the Searle and Gerhard sets and give them another spin or two too!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Returning to Hartmann, I greatly like this set:

to the extent that I have one copy here in France and one copy in Scotland (where I have a multi-channel SACD set-up which is particularly effective in the 1st Symphony). The CDs seem to be deleted (hence the ludicrous price on Amazon) but Qobuz has a hi-res download for about £15 (16,99€):

Écoutez en illimité ou téléchargez Hartmann: Symphonies Nos. 1-8 de Karl Amadeus Hartmann en qualité Hi-Res sur Qobuz. Abonnement à partir de 12,49€/mois.

As well as Kubelík's 4th and 8th, there is a well-known Fricsay recording of the 6th - mono only but still sounds fine. I've enthused about the following recording before but I think that Patricia Kopatschinskaja's recent recording of the Concerto Funèbre:

is outstanding. On Qobuz - and if the rest of the 'concept album' doesn't appeal (not to everyone's taste, I fear) the Concerto can be bought as four separate tracks. Then there is 'Simplicius Simplicissimus' which someone (I think Roehre) recommended to me.

I'm now wary of Henze's 7th Symphony (Markus Stenz recording, rather than Janowski) since sitting listening to it and watching the ceramic cone of the left speaker disintegrate in front of me.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                              Returning to Hartmann, I greatly like this set:

to the extent that I have one copy here in France and one copy in Scotland (where I have a multi-channel SACD set-up which is particularly effective in the 1st Symphony). The CDs seem to be deleted (hence the ludicrous price on Amazon) but Qobuz has a hi-res download for about £15 (16,99€):

Écoutez en illimité ou téléchargez Hartmann: Symphonies Nos. 1-8 de Karl Amadeus Hartmann en qualité Hi-Res sur Qobuz. Abonnement à partir de 12,49€/mois.

As well as Kubelík's 4th and 8th, there is a well-known Fricsay recording of the 6th - mono only but still sounds fine. I've enthused about the following recording before but I think that Patricia Kopatschinskaja's recent recording of the Concerto Funèbre:

is outstanding. On Qobuz - and if the rest of the 'concept album' doesn't appeal (not to everyone's taste, I fear) the Concerto can be bought as four separate tracks. Then there is 'Simplicius Simplicissimus' which someone (I think Roehre) recommended to me.

I'm now wary of Henze's 7th Symphony (Markus Stenz recording, rather than Janowski) since sitting listening to it and watching the ceramic cone of the left speaker disintegrate in front of me.
                              If you want the 5.1 surround download, Channel Classics have it (DSD64), either straight 5.1 or 'combi'.

Comment

Working...
                              X