Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoddinott, Alun

Alun Hoddinott was born in Bargoed (Glamorgan) in 1929.

In his youth he played the viola in the National
    Youth Orchestra of Wales. He graduated from
    University College, Cardiff, in 1949 and also studied privately in London with Arthur Benjamin.

In 1967 he founded (with John Ogdon) the
    Cardiff Festival of 20th Century Music.

He was an energetc composer, and left us ten symphonies:

no. 1, opus 7, 1955

no. 2, opus 29, 1962
    Commissioned by the 1962 Cheltenham Festival of British Contemporary MusicOrchestration: 3+1.2+1.2+1.2+1 | 4.3.3.1 | T+2 | Hp | StgsDedication: “To Alan Raws...

no. 3, opus 61, 1968
    Commissioned by the Hallé Concerts SocietyOrchestration: 3+1.2+1.2+1.2+1 | 4.3.3.0 | T+3 | Hp |Pno | Cel | StgsFirst performance: Manchester, the Free Trade ...

no. 4, opus 70, 1969
    Alun Hoddinott, Symphony No.4 (1970)Halle Orchestra, Maurice Handford. (cond.)

no. 5, opus 81, 1973

no. 6, opus 116, 1984

no. 7, opus 137, with organ, 1989
    Alun Hoddinott: Symphony No 7 for Organ & Orchestra, Op. 137 (1989). Conducted by Richard Hickox. BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra. Jane Watts, organ.

no. 8, opus 142, 1992

no. 9, opus 145, 1992, with warbling soprano

no. 10, opus 172, 1999
    Alun Hoddinott: Symphony No 10, Op. 172 (1999). Conducted by Tadaaki Otaka. BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

also four string quartets:

no. 1, opus 43, 1965

no. 2, opus 113, 1984

no. 3, opus 130, 1988

no. 4, opus 160, 1996
    Last edited by Sydney Grew; 13-08-21, 10:25.

He was also Professor of Music at Cardiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      He was also Professor of Music at Cardiff.
      More significantly, he was Head of the Music Department there. When it comes to music, "professor" is a rather more generally used term than in most other disciplines. It tends to simply mean teacher. I well recall the fuss when the national press took up the story of the banning of the Scratch Orchestra from Newcastle Civic Centre in 1971. They first promoted Cornelius Cardew's formal job description at the RAM as "Professor of Composition", then moved on to falsely claim that it was a self-description (in my experience he never uses the term himself) while relating that he had a part-time teaching role at the RAM and, at that time, had but one student.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        More significantly, he was Head of the Music Department there. When it comes to music, "professor" is a rather more generally used term than in most other disciplines. It tends to simply mean teacher. I well recall the fuss when the national press took up the story of the banning of the Scratch Orchestra from Newcastle Civic Centre in 1971. They first promoted Cornelius Cardew's formal job description at the RAM as "Professor of Composition", then moved on to falsely claim that it was a self-description (in my experience he never uses the term himself) while relating that he had a part-time teaching role at the RAM and, at that time, had but one student.
        On a less serious note, but giving a little insight into Alun, the man. Here is Jane Watts writing about one of the more hairy moments in her life as a virtuoso organist:

“The second – although this eventually turned out to be one of the best experiences – was when I was invited with many months’ notice to give the world premiere of Alun Hoddinott’s Symphony for Organ and Orchestra [no 7] with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Richard Hickox, to be broadcast live on Radio 3. Dear Alun did not complete the work until less than 24 hours before the first orchestral rehearsal, and even when I arrived at that rehearsal, I was told by a member of the orchestra that none of the parts had yet reached them. It had been agreed that we would keep the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony ‘up our sleeves’ in case there was not enough time to work on Alun’s piece, but in the end everything turned out well – just!”

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
          On a less serious note, but giving a little insight into Alun, the man. Here is Jane Watts writing about one of the more hairy moments in her life as a virtuoso organist:

“The second – although this eventually turned out to be one of the best experiences – was when I was invited with many months’ notice to give the world premiere of Alun Hoddinott’s Symphony for Organ and Orchestra [no 7] with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Richard Hickox, to be broadcast live on Radio 3. Dear Alun did not complete the work until less than 24 hours before the first orchestral rehearsal, and even when I arrived at that rehearsal, I was told by a member of the orchestra that none of the parts had yet reached them. It had been agreed that we would keep the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony ‘up our sleeves’ in case there was not enough time to work on Alun’s piece, but in the end everything turned out well – just!”

At least he did not 'do a Walton'.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            At least he did not 'do a Walton'.
            Yes, indeed,Bryn, wayward Willie was an incorrigible ‘incompletist’. Poor André Previn never received more than the first page of the 3rd Symphony that Walton promised him!

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              Yes, indeed,Bryn, wayward Willie was an incorrigible ‘incompletist’. Poor André Previn never received more than the first page of the 3rd Symphony that Walton promised him!
              I didn't know there was an incomplete 3rd symphony! Has it ever been performed, anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I didn't know there was an incomplete 3rd symphony! Has it ever been performed, anyone know?
                It was literally one page that was sent to AP, I have no recollection of hearing that WW added anything, later: I doubt whether it’s in any way a parallel of the Elgar situation.

Comment

Working...
                X