Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anderson, Julian

Pulcinella suggested starting a thread on the composer Julian Anderson, so here it is.

So, when I was studying (supposedly) for a music degree, I admit this composer left quite an impression to the extent that I acquired scores of several of his works. I listened to them a lot at one point, though then not that much for quite some time. Generally I find his music attractive though, and I can pick out influences on his style which I like - gamelan, spectralism, ars subtilior, Stravinsky, Messiaen, without in any way being derivative of these things. It's a colourful mix for sure and while he tends towards a kind of soft modalism, at the same time he has a penchant for raucous heterophonic textures and microtones. In fact I am currently listening to his Book of Hours (this is one I have the score of, though haven't dug it out) which I reckon is one of his best pieces - all the aforementioned aspects are there and there are nice dance rhythms.

So is The Book of Hours the one with the distorted bell sounds?
    There are certainly bells on the CD cover:
    Julian Anderson: Book of Hours. NMC: NMCD121. Buy CD or download online. Lamberto Coccioli & Scott Wilson (electronics) Birmingham Contemporary Music Group, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Oliver Knussen, Martyn Brabbins & Sakari Oramo

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      So is The Book of Hours the one with the distorted bell sounds?
      There are certainly bells on the CD cover:
      https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-book-of-hours
      I think so.

Comment

Anderson is a useful broadcaster as well as teacher and exponent of contemporary and modernist musics as a whole, though I have to say I haven't heard any particular piece of his as yet that has made a lasting impression. His chosen composition themes are maybe a tad esoteric I think, but he's a good advocate for the music and in no way obscurantist when talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk
          For an alternate acoustic, Bychkov/Czech PO premiering the first two movements of the new symphony back in April.

Andrew Clements in his neutral Guardian review did refer to "intricate details far easier to appreciate from the broadcast than they ever were in the hall".

I'm definitely an Anderson fan, albeit a choosey one. Imagin'd Corners is IMHO a particularly good piece.
          Thanks for posting this link. I found its clear acoustic and detailing helpful and the work sounded less lush than I found the complete Prom performance. Substance held sway and embroidery was more incidental. The argument ruled and I was able to comprehend the piece on its own terms rather than playing ‘spot the ill-digested influence’. Educational!

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            Thanks for posting this link. I found its clear acoustic and detailing helpful and the work sounded less lush than I found the complete Prom performance. Substance held sway and embroidery was more incidental. The argument ruled and I was able to comprehend the piece on its own terms rather than playing ‘spot the ill-digested influence’. Educational!
            Indeed, I quite enjoyed that. Always a mug for long drawn-out Mahlerian endings, me!

Comment

I just listened to Eden, Imagin'd Corners and Symphony all from his Book of Hours CD, and all fine works.

Comment

Some nice news for Julian Anderson, his winning the 2023 Grawemeyer Award for his cello concerto Litanies:

Comment

Working...
                X