Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Strange Affliction of Anton Bruckner

In an idle moment, I wondered if Bruckner had ever fallen into Ken Russell's hands, and discovered the above-mentioned film from 1990. It deals with a period which AB spent in a sanatorium, and The Guardian called it 'charming'. It's available on YouTube, although the quality isn't great.

I once heard an anecdote that said Bruckner was obsessive-compulsive, but I wasn't convinced. Hecertainly had problems fitting into sophisticated Austrian society, which suggests a touch of Asperger Syndrome or Attention-deficit Hyperactivity. Thanks for the notice; I hadn't heard of this film.

Russell of course was notorious for working out in his films his own relationship with Catholicism, so yes, Bruckner might be thought fertile ground for him.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I once heard an anecdote that said Bruckner was obsessive-compulsive, but I wasn't convinced. Hecertainly had problems fitting into sophisticated Austrian society, which suggests a touch of Asperger Syndrome or Attention-deficit Hyperactivity. Thanks for the notice; I hadn't heard of this film.

Russell of course was notorious for working out in his films his own relationship with Catholicism, so yes, Bruckner might be thought fertile ground for him.
      I haven't watched the film, but it seems to be mercifully much shorter than most of AB's symphonies, so I might give it a shot, if only to see how many climaxes there are.

Comment

Comment

To say that I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement - the film is sympathetic, non-judgmental, mercifully free of KR's trade-mark excesses and, ultimately, moving and life-affirming. In some ways, a throwback to his 'Monitor' days (and none the worse for that). Oh yes, and there's also a nice twist at the end which I must admit I didn't see coming.

Comment

How many performing editions are there of this movie?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

Comment

I want to go to that sanatorium. and be nursed by that nurse.

Comment

I've no idea how long the rough cut was, but the film was edited by Melvyn Bragg and IMVHO is not a minute too long. You never know - it might prove as important for somebody out there as KR's 'Elgar' was for me.

Comment

I remember watching this film on its first broadcast in, I think, 1990 in the Sunday night South Bank Show slot. To be honest, I thought it a load of nonsense then and doubt if a second viewing will change my mind.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I remember watching this film on its first broadcast in, I think, 1990 in the Sunday night South Bank Show slot. To be honest, I thought it a load of nonsense then and doubt if a second viewing will change my mind.
                      While it's not an infallible guide to the quality of a film, I usually check its IMDB rating. This scores a more than respectable 7.7.
                      I'm not sure whether Ken Russell was trying to prove something, any more than I am - I just thought it was cleverly structured and rather sweet.
                      Last edited by LMcD; 11-12-23, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I've no idea how long the rough cut was, but the film was edited by Melvyn Bragg and IMVHO is not a minute too long. You never know - it might prove as important for somebody out there as KR's 'Elgar' was for me.
                        Only is the film editors are named Novak or Haas

Comment

For what it’s worth in my view Russell’s music documentaries / dramas went into a decline in the 70’s . Song Of Summer (Delius) is arguably the best film portrait of a composer ever made. Mentioned above are Elgar and there’s also a fine Debussy. He also made an exceptional run of early short film docs for the BBC in the 60’s. It’s tempting to link his decline with his very mixed feature film output - with farragos like the Music Lovers. He abandoned depth of psychological insight for crude sensationalism. I think money corrupted things to be honest . Not to mention his battles with the censors over The Devils which must have taken a lot out of him. Some of the later films are ok but they have a slightly exhausted feel - as though he has run out of ideas.

Comment

Only is the film editors are named Novak or Haas

A version of Kim’s Game perhaps!

Comment

I agree with Heldenleben's view of Russell's composer films. I did enjoy his second Elgar film (also on YouTube) but it's not a patch on the classic first one. 'Song of Summer' was terrific; and what a fine cast, Max Adrian absolutely perfect (Eric Fenby himself said Adrian was exactly like Delius).

I'm afraid I didn't get anything out of the Bruckner film. But coincidentally, talking of Bruckner oin TV, the SkyArts series of the symphonies, flimed at S. Florian's, is still running. Yesterday was the Seventh. I expect it will be repeated,as their Beethoven and Schumann series have been.

Comment

Working...
                              X