Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    I've not found his Bruckner of compelling interpretative interest previously - IIRC I heard his 8th back in the day....
    In medias res ​with Venzago now.....
    Apart from Richard any other comments on the Horenstein BBC Legends recording ? Was going to play Eighth this afternoon .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Apart from Richard any other comments on the Horenstein BBC Legends recording ? Was going to play Eighth this afternoon .
      Our esteemed Forum member, Tony, was playing in the horn section of the LSO in that performance and he did give his thoughts on it which, if I remember correctly, were along the lines of one of the most memorable concerts he played in. Despite searching, I'm afraid I haven't been able to find his post.

I have the BBC Legends recording and found it perfectly fine though it's a long time since I last played it.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Our esteemed Forum member, Tony, was playing in the horn section of the LSO in that performance and he did give his thoughts on it which, if I remember correctly, were along the lines of one of the most memorable concerts he played in. Despite searching, I'm afraid I haven't been able to find his post.
        I have the BBC Legends recording and found it perfectly fine though it's a long time since I last played it.
        I've found the search function within the forum unfruitful in finding items remembered - from uncertain dates, etc. It used to be possible to use an advanced search in Google but then it seemed there was some kind of bar to Google searching from outside. However, I thought I'd try it again today and it seems it works again.

I think this is the thread you recalled:
        http://www.for3.org/forums/archive/i...hp/t-7479.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          I've found the search function within the forum unfruitful in finding items remembered - from uncertain dates, etc. It used to be possible to use an advanced search in Google but then it seemed there was some kind of bar to Google searching from outside. However, I thought I'd try it again today and it seems it works again.

I think this is the thread you recalled:
          http://www.for3.org/forums/archive/i...hp/t-7479.html
          Or http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...545#post256545

Comment

Thanks Cockney Sparrow and Bryn, that's the one I recalled. Reading it again is enough to make one retrieve the CD from the shelves and pop it in the player right away.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              .. enough to make one retrieve the CD from the shelves and pop it in the player right away.
              This thread and the "coda" thread prompted me earlier today to go to my shelves and retrieve Boulez/VPO, recorded live in the Abbey Church of St Florian near Linz, whose crypt contains the composer's mortal remains. It sounded wonderful through headphones in the garden in crystal clear sunny weather. I even read the sleeve notes, including Boulez' generous comment concerning the VPO: "From the very outset I accepted that I would undoubtedly get more from the orchestra than they would get from me."

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                This thread and the "coda" thread
                Should they be merged?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Cross reference?

Comment

Resurrecting this thread because I intend to listen to Bruckner's 8th tonight, but which recording? No Hass, thank you. Other suggestions welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Resurrecting this thread because I intend to listen to Bruckner's 8th tonight, but which recording? No Hass, thank you. Other suggestions welcomed.
                      Enjoyed recently both Karajans (VPO and BPO ) but Haas
                      Tennstedt is superb in this and I’m pretty sure that’s Nowak . Also enjoyed Haitink ..

Comment

Playing some 1887 8ths recently, very taken with Simone Young in Hamburg, who I favoured over the Tintner this time round. The scherzo sounds startlingly new and different here. Gorgeous SACD sound if you have it (or lossless on Qobuz)....why not try that?

Or for a very urgent, dramatic presentation of another less-frequently heard version, have a go at VSO/Andreae in the 1892 score...on Qobuz if you don't have the box.

Comment

Playing some 1887 8ths recently, very taken with Simone Young in Hamburg, who I favoured over the Tintner this time round. The scherzo sounds startlingly new and different here. Gorgeous SACD sound if you have it (or lossless on Qobuz)....why not try that?

Or for a very urgent, dramatic presentation of another less-frequently heard version, have a go at VSO/Andreae in the 1892 score...on Qobuz if you don't have the box.
                          Thanks, jayne, I was considering the Young but like to listen in surround when available. Trouble is, the room with the surround setup is not being heated at the moment, so I would rather listen either from CD or a digital download I already have. However, while browsing my Bruckner boxes my eyes fell up the putative 1888 variant ed. Carragan (Schaller). What think you?

Comment

Thanks, jayne, I was considering the Young but like to listen in surround when available. Trouble is, the room with the surround setup is not being heated at the moment, so I would rather listen either from CD or a digital download I already have. However, while browsing my Bruckner boxes my eyes fell up the putative 1888 variant ed. Carragan (Schaller). What think you?
                            Too long since I last heard it, but I recall favourable responses and reviews, and I have Schaller's 1-3 out awaiting play.... so why not? 1888 is essentially a variant of the 1887 original so although I'd probably prefer 1887 "straight" rather than on the rocks, I think I'll get mine out as well...! Fit it in among the Simpson somewhere...

The last section in Dermot Gault's The New Bruckner is headed "An Abiding Plurality".....
                            Just so....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-03-21, 02:09.

Comment

I’m enjoying this Bruckner 8 with Barenboim and the Berlin Statskapelle at the RFH in 2012 which is currently on R3 . With the Bruckner 5 from Abbado earlier in the week it has been a good few days for Bruckner enthusiasts …no doubt quite a few forumites were at this concert as well.

Comment

Too long since I last heard it, but I recall favourable responses and reviews, and I have Schaller's 1-3 out awaiting play.... so why not? 1888 is essentially a variant of the 1887 original so although I'd probably prefer 1887 "straight" rather than on the rocks, I think I'll get mine out as well...! Fit it in among the Simpson somewhere...

The last section in Dermot Gault's The New Bruckner is headed "An Abiding Plurality".....
                                Just so....
                                Sorry, I somehow missed your respone at the time. Yes, we are very lucky to have so many variants with such good modern editors making them avaialble to hear. I wqs going to listen to Schaller's recording of the 9th with the Carragan performing version from the sketches for the fnal movements. However, my euyes fell upon the Berliner Phil coffee-table virtue signal and thought I ought to try Rattle in the SPCM finale in its 'live' Blu-ray surround manifestation. It does sound somewhat more than merely all the 'right' notes, and in the right order . . . However, while listening to it is no great chore, neither does if lift me as Dausgaard does, with the same score and a 'lesser' orchestra. Did you see that Carragan is considering trying to sort something out with Blackwell for distribution of "The Red Book" in the UK?
                                Last edited by Bryn; 25-07-21, 20:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X