No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on thread, I enjoyed this from Jayne on the Schumann thread
    posted by Jayne Lee Wilson

**PETRUSHKA!! LOOK, JUST GO AND BUY BLOMSTEDT/LEIPZIG/QUERSTAND IN BRUCKNER 2 (CARRAGHAN 1872) AND HAVE DONE WITH IT! OR DO YOURSELF A BIGGER FAVOUR AND BUY 1,2 AND 3 WHILE YOU'RE ABOUT IT. SOME OF THE FINEST BRUCKNER ON DISC. EVER. AND THAT'S NOT A MATTER OF OPINION!)
    I'm looking forward to Pet's announcing his conversion in the near future . Tintner's (Carraghan 1872) 2 has been one of the great discoveries of recent years for me, along with his 1 and 3 (1873 original version). Checking out the Blomstedt, I see it's the set or nothing but what the hell - a snip at £120.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Back on thread, I enjoyed this from Jayne on the Schumann thread

I'm looking forward to Pet's announcing his conversion in the near future . Tintner's (Carraghan 1872) 2 has been one of the great discoveries of recent years for me, along with his 1 and 3 (1873 original version). Checking out the Blomstedt, I see it's the set or nothing but what the hell - a snip at £120.
      Actually, I think you might find it just slightly cheaper to buy them separately via the amazon.co.uk marketplace, though the search system at amazon.co.uk is a mess (searching for Bruckner Blomstedt will not find them all).

The relevant ASINs are, B008CWR0NS, B008OKYJHS, B00530GNAS, B00713Y2YO, B0040VJU7O, B001TN0VLU, B000RE1TYU, B000MGAZ98 and B008MH3S20. Blomstedt appears not to have recorded the noughty[sic] ones.

I already had 7 and 8 from this series, so separates was the only sensible route for me anyway.
      Last edited by Bryn; 17-06-14, 11:50. Reason: Typo and grammar (a dodgy plural).

Comment

I, too, was swayed by JLW's eloquent advocacy of the Blomstedt Querstand releases. But 'Bruckner Blomstedt' worked fine for me in uk Amazon's search, and I duly ordered 2 & 3, both from a US-based marketplace seller, just a couple of days ago.

Comment

Thanks both!

Comment

It might be a case of making your own recording of the Bruckner symphonies?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Ah now here is a performance - mono at the BBC - Barbirolli in Bruckner 3 - not for the first time Sir John opens the door .

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread ...

I once said that if I were ever invited to appear on Desert Island Discs (admittedly about as likely as Elvis Presley being discovered alive on the moon) I would be struggling to pick out one 'positively numbered' Bruckner symphony that I could bear to leave behind. I adore them all and only the Ninth baffled me initially but soon I discovered that, even in its incomplete sate, it is arguably the greatest one of all (apart from all the rest, of course!)

However, I do agree with HS that the scherzi tend to be very "samey" and repetitive which I find a tad wearying and that is normally my time to arise from the armchair and make a cup of tea (or something a little stronger) reflecting on the majesty of sound that went before, and I know is about to return in later movements. No 3 is chock-full of lovely melodies which includes a little polka passage. The coda is stunning if a bit premature as Robert Simpson observed.

I can't understand anyone not liking No 2. The slow movement alone is one of the most beautiful the composer penned and that's some achievement in itself. As for No 1, just listen to the climax in the slow movement again ... pure Bruckner, perched on a mountain-top gazing in child-like wonder at the vast, stunning vista. I prefer the original Linz version as the composer's Vienna alterations tend to spoil the flow of the music for me and are quite unnecessary.

Of course the even greater Bruckner was yet to emerge but the early symphonies are more than just worth a listen, they deserve their rightful place in concert programming instead of the current inexplicable and quite outrageous neglect.

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  Just stumbled on this thread ...

I once said that if I were ever invited to appear on Desert Island Discs (admittedly about as likely as Elvis Presley being discovered alive on the moon) I would be struggling to pick out one 'positively numbered' Bruckner symphony that I could bear to leave behind. I adore them all and only the Ninth baffled me initially but soon I discovered that, even in its incomplete sate, it is arguably the greatest one of all (apart from all the rest, of course!)

However, I do agree with HS that the scherzi tend to be very "samey" and repetitive which I find a tad wearying and that is normally my time to arise from the armchair and make a cup of tea (or something a little stronger) reflecting on the majesty of sound that went before, and I know is about to return in later movements. No 3 is chock-full of lovely melodies which includes a little polka passage. The coda is stunning if a bit premature as Robert Simpson observed.

I can't understand anyone not liking No 2. The slow movement alone is one of the most beautiful the composer penned and that's some achievement in itself. As for No 1, just listen to the climax in the slow movement again ... pure Bruckner, perched on a mountain-top gazing in child-like wonder at the vast, stunning vista. I prefer the original Linz version as the composer's Vienna alterations tend to spoil the flow of the music for me and are quite unnecessary.

Of course the even greater Bruckner was yet to emerge but the early symphonies are more than just worth a listen, they deserve their rightful place in concert programming instead of the current inexplicable and quite outrageous neglect.
                  That has really whetted my appetite!

I'm going to spin #1 now.

Regarding B's scherzos, they are a tad same and repetitive, but only sometimes do I find myself flicking the switch and making a cuppa.

V. interesting post, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    That has really whetted my appetite!

I'm going to spin #1 now.

Regarding B's scherzos, they are a tad same and repetitive, but only sometimes do I find myself flicking the switch and making a cuppa.

V. interesting post, thanks.
                    And I'm going to spin No 2!

Comment

I have just recently, been listening to Abbado's account with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, a DG release. Very good indeed. Can't remember what version it is though
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

No 3 is chock-full of lovely melodies which includes a little polka passage.
                        For reasons that I can't recall, No 3 was the first symphony with which I became familiar - but I do recall it was that addictive, lilting little 'polka' passage, which recurs several times in the last movement, that 'hooked' me in the first place. I guess I came across it on the radio! I love the piece, and the Jochum/Dresden Staatskapelle performance (those lovely horns )... Tennstedt's No 8 with the LPO soon came along to eclipse it somewhat, but I still have a lot of affection for No 3.

I can't understand anyone not liking No 2. The slow movement alone is one of the most beautiful the composer penned and that's some achievement in itself. As for No 1, just listen to the climax in the slow movement again ... pure Bruckner, perched on a mountain-top gazing in child-like wonder at the vast, stunning vista. ...

I completely agree. I've come to know Nos 1 & 2 thanks to the recent LPO performances under Jurowski (despite them having been in my Jochum/Dresden set, unlistened-to ).

I might as well just copy my comments about 1 & 2 posted after the performance of No 2 earlier this year. Totally agree about its slow movement !!

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        [Bruckner 2, LPO/Jurowski - RFH, 26/02/14]

...what a magnificent, surprising, fascinating performance - and work!

The slow movement glorious (great solo horn playing near the end) and the last movement electrifying - and one passage involving a staccato conversation between clarinets that sounded as if Bruckner had (with Elliott Carter-like longevity) continued producing music into the 1930s, extraordinary random-sounding syncopations.

(I had a similar feeling to that when I went to hear Bruckner's 1st with the same forces - was this early music, or some very late work of his, just discovered? It seemed to me that the sense of novelty and experimentation could have belonged to either end of a career).
                        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 08-11-14, 19:19.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Agree with JLW's advocacy of the first versions of 2 and 3. But the 4th and (particularly) 8th are much better in their definitive versions.

In terms of performance, I don't get on with Tintners' recordings of the later symphonies, but he does a great job with 00, 0 and 1-3. Interestingly Tintner's sleave note on the 8th admits that the original version (which he conducts) isn't as good as Novak or Haas

Solti is also rather wonderful in 1

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                            Agree with JLW's advocacy of the first versions of 2 and 3. But the 4th and (particularly) 8th are much better in their definitive versions.

In terms of performance, I don't get on with Tintners' recordings of the later symphonies, but he does a great job with 00, 0 and 1-3. Interestingly Tintner's sleave note on the 8th admits that the original version (which he conducts) isn't as good as Novak or Haas

Solti is also rather wonderful in 1
                            Please define "definitive" in relation to the 8th. Tintner used one of the two Nowak editions, by the way.

Comment

The Halle Concerts Society sold a handkerchief with Barbirolli's signature and the first 4 notes of Bruckner 3 embroidered upon it. Evidently a work the conductor greatly admired.

Comment

I use the opening bars of the 3rd for my mobile phone's alarm. It makes an ideal awakening
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X